Urch Forums

Greetings, and questions on going towards PHD

Eyi

Dear all,

I'm a senior from Rutgers University (NB). I dual major in Math and Econ, with a minor in Poli Sci. It seems I can also choose to minor in Operations Research due to size of overlapping classes with Math.. To be concise, here are my stats:

GPA: 3.85 overall; 3.80 Math; 3. 85 Econ; 4.0 Poli Sci.

Courses taken: Math - Calc 4 (Multiv&diff eqn), Intro to Lin Alg, Math Reasoning (intro to advanced Math); Econ - all intro/intermediate level classes and two higher level electives.

Courses will take: Math - Calc 5&6 (equivalent to 'Intro to Analysis - 104,105' offered at UCB, I would assume its a prep level real analysis; it's unlikely I can take further analysis class before graduation), Linear Optimization, Probability Theory, Game Theory, and two other higher level electives; Econ - Advanced Econometrics, Game Theory, two honor research classes, and one more elective.

Academic interest: decision-making study, game theory, industrial organization and relevant aspects in political economy.

Research Exp: (1) data collection for department chair's research paper, nothing serious; (2) undergrad honor thesis research, ongoing until next May, supervised by a senior faculty member at Econ dept.

LOR: this is tricky b/c I can literally attain LORs from almost all professors I know, but it seems that only my supervisor's one will be the truly valuable one...

GRE: V150, Q167; it's unlikely I can increase the score, at least not within this year, considering my ongoing research (presentation and defense in Dec) and six higher level electives I'm taking this semester.

Desirable schools: U Chicago, Columbia, MIT, Harvard, Yale, NYU, UPenn... (I can put down a long list here, but, well, you know...) ; OxCam and LSE...

a, I ignorantly speak in a tone that assumes my readers are either from the U.S. or at least knowing how U.S. colleges operate.

b, The grading policy of Rutgers is A-->B+-->B-->C+ where B+ is 3.50.

c, The only non-A econ class I got is "Intel Econ" a few semesters back, and I received that due to mental distress caused by infestation in my apartment and it's relative lawsuit against my landlord right after the first exam. The whole event was documented and reported to the school, but the instructor refused to evaluate accordingly based on my 97-->72-->78 exam scores, even if the department chair and program director tried to persuade him.

d, I don't know whether this is important, but the average higher level Math course grade at RU is C+/B (2.50~3.00)

e, Currently, I'm working with some people on my application preparation, and the further I get into this application game, the more diffident I am. I realize very rarely an undergrad can directly enter a leading PHD program in Econ, except freaky genius, which I'm not. Most of these big name schools don't offer Master for transitory purpose, and as far as I know only NYU, Northwestern and some British schools do that. So I'm willing to either apply for Masters or go abroad.

I'm far away from a competitive applicant, but this brings me here. Please chance me, and feel free to throw advices and criticisms at me.:cyclops:

* I will add in more info once it come into my mind...

Edited by Eyi

Don't say anything in your app about your landlord. You don't need an excuse for failing to get an A in one class. You risk sounding like you lack perspective.

This is part of the dilemma.

I visited both Columbia and UPenn in the Spring, where the graduate director of C suggested to include the proof being mentioned, and a dominant senior faculty at UPenn said it doesn't matter what kind of B it is, B is B.

you already poisoned the conversation there by getting into it with them. first off, you're telling someone you don't even know that you sued your landlord. why would they want someone who is litigious in their program. second you are displaying a great deal of insecurity which is not an attractive quality in an applicant to a job, educational program or any other position. I wouldn't be surprised if the senior faculty at penn was astounded that you would presume to air concerns like these to him and gave you the most discouraging answer possible.

I don't think there's a big risk if you mention it, it's just not worthwhile for your time to try to explain away that grade because grad school admissions really don't care about econ electives. Do well in math and your transcript is fine. It seems like you would benefit from full-time research experience after college instead of a master's.

Just don't mention it. Its not your job to grovel to the adcomm. You have great grades and scores. However, for elite schools you are at a disadvantage coming from NB and probably face a long shot for a top 10 program. If you are dead set on it do a masters, but you could probably get a fine offer to a fine school right now which will prepare you to do great research which is the real goal here anyways. This is another thing you could probably use some perspective on.

Just don't mention it. Its not your job to grovel to the adcomm. You have great grades and scores. However, for elite schools you are at a disadvantage coming from NB and probably face a long shot for a top 10 program. If you are dead set on it do a masters, but you could probably get a fine offer to a fine school right now which will prepare you to do great research which is the real goal here anyways. This is another thing you could probably use some perspective on.

I mean I really don't get why people without calc 1 go around giving authoritative-sounding career advice to other applicants. It's not a sensible nor decent thing to engage in, alright? I'm sure you'll be a good economist one day; but you're talking out of your a*s right now.

And this whole "profile evaluation" thing going on for the last few years is just silly, because realistically almost everybody posting in response is an undergrad and people who are pretty far away from applications on their own. That's why they're on this board.

Most people will benefit significantly more from reading old profile and results threads and figuring out what the successful candidates did to build up their profile, and to get a rough sense of competitiveness at every level, than from hundreds of these profile evaluation threads. And admissions questions/strategies/career advice are comprehensively laid out at the FAQs. These threads should really be closed unless they have specific and meaningful questions, so the occasional useful thread doesn't get drowned out.

It's true doing what you said can be very beneficial, but talking about 'restriction' may be too harsh, b/c it's also true that most people who just joined the forum would have no idea nor time to going through every single post in the past to filter out what info best fit them.

Speaking of getting into some research places like the Fed for a year or two, I am also considering this option if I see no hope in grad application. Thx for the advices anyway!

Why don't you apply for Teach for America. I think you would learn something.

Seriously though if you see no hope in a grad school application with your profile you may be beyond help.

I would probably join Romney for 2016 campaign team if I see no hope.

Please don't get me started on politics.

In sum, I'm just trying to tell you to lighten up on yourself. You've done a good job, be confident instead of donning the sack cloth and self-flagellating over one B. Also I would suggest exploring the idea that there are many good schools, and explore the idea of fit rather than ranking. Additionally if you are ever in a room with a senior faculty member at an elite school again please don't tell him about the bed bugs in your apartment.