Urch Forums

2015 Profile Evaluation and Recommendation Advice

weakerthan

Hey all! I'd love to get any feedback on schools I might be competitive for, as well as a bit of advice on my third reference letter (see below). I've got a bit of an odd profile, so it's hard to gauge where I stand. Thanks for taking a look!

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: State school with top ~20 econ, but undergrad was in physics (and philosophy, woot!).

Undergrad GPA: 4.0/4.0 (with some A- though)

Type of Grad: Top 4 Canadian masters in economics, preceded by a masters in physics (theory) at the same school.

Grad GPA: 93/100

GRE: 800Q, 650V, 4.5 AWA. It's from December 2010 and on the old scoring system, but my sense is there's no need to retake?

Math Courses: Multivariable Calculus (A-), Ordinary Differential Equations (A), Linear Algebra (A), Group Theory for physics (grad, A+), Real Analysis (grad, A), Probability and Stats for Economics (grad, A+)

Econ Courses (grad-level): Micro (A), Macro(A), Econometrics (A+), Development Economics (A), International Trade (A), Program Evaluation/Causal Inference (A+), Environmental Economics(A+)

Econ Courses (undergrad-level): Intermediate Micro (A+), Intermediate Macro (A+), Intermediate Econometrics (A+), Applied Economics Research Project (A+)

Other Courses:

Letters of Recommendation: 1) My current boss (Texas PhD, economics). We have a close and productive relationship and this one will I think be glowing. 2) A well known labor economist (now a department head!). Princeton PhD, in economics. It should be good, but I don't know him super intimately (though he did advise me a bit on a summer project and I've kept up with him). 3) This one I'm wondering about. My intuitive plan was to use my physics MS supervisor, who I worked with intimately for three years. We published a paper together, and have had a really good relationship. But it's now been 3 years since I've graduated, and 2 years since I stopped collaborating with him. Would it be better to go with an economist who I've had a more recent working relationship with?

Research Experience: ~2 years at an established environmental economics think tank, summer research project for my economics MA, and my masters thesis research in physics

Teaching Experience: TA'd intermediate econometrics, and econ 101 (before I'd ever taken it myself, that was interesting/fun...). Also have TA experience from physics.

Research Interests: I've very interested in practical methodological issues in applied econometrics and causal inference. I'd love to work on a project that has an analytic side but with empirical applications that I could work on in my dissertation. I'm most interested in labor, environmental and development economics.

SOP: I'll talk about my transition from physics, current research interests, try to talk up my math skills since they seem to love that

Concerns: It's been 6 years now since I've been out of my bachelor's degree. Hopefully I'll be seen as having used it well, but my route has been circuitous and at my own pace.

Other: I've been pursuing a little solo side project lately, and just submitted a manuscript to Economics Letters. Not getting my hopes up, but who knows! I got a paper published in physics, and we finally got our first citation! (single tear)

Applying to: MIT, Berkeley, Stanford, Duke, Harvard Kennedy School, UBC. Maybes: Harvard Econ, Berkeley ARE (this would require giving up on Berkeley econ, but my workplace has a very close relationship with this department), Colorado, NYU, Columbia, Princeton, Yale. Other ideas?

Thanks again, and best of luck to all!

Your profile seems stellar given that your LoRs are as well. My advice would be apply to more schools (that is include those you listed as maybe). As far as the 3rd LoR goes, who do you think will give you a better one? Would the physics professor add something the other two cannot? If i were you i would go with the one writing the stronger letter. Also if you are not sure which one is better you can have each of the submit lors to half of the schools that way you could reduce risk.

Also, why did you pick Colorado? This looks like the odd one out.

Hahaha. I'm thinking about throwing Colorado in there as a safety in case I'm overestimating myself and get otherwise shut out. Being in a location in which I'll be happy, focused, and not rushing to get out of there is pretty important to me though, and Boulder is close to awesome mountains. It's very "me", really too much for its own good or mine, but the 420 thing isn't a consideration at all for me. Driving distance to Burning Man, on the other hand, would be :)