Urch Forums

Undergrad upper math or grad Econ?

larrybr

Hi:)

For grad Econ, I mean the sequence "grad probability for Econometrics", "Intro to Metrics I", "Intro to Metrics II", and the sequence on Micro.

For undergrad upper math, I mean courses like "upper ODE","Mathematical modelings","Optimization", "Numerical Analysis I&II" and "Complex Analysis".

Which ones are of the highest values to the admission committee?

Thanks~!

I would take optimization and whichever of the grad econ classes you're interested in. The rest of the math classes are of lesser usefulness, unless you haven't taken an ODE class.

Hi:)

For grad Econ, I mean the sequence "grad probability for Econometrics", "Intro to Metrics I", "Intro to Metrics II", and the sequence on Micro.

For undergrad upper math, I mean courses like "upper ODE","Mathematical modelings","Optimization", "Numerical Analysis I&II" and "Complex Analysis".

Which ones are of the highest values to the admission committee?

Thanks~!

I'm not sure if the optimizations I learned in Calculus counts. I mean, all I can remember now is just some really basic ones like the first order condition, second order condition, etc..-_-

You mean to tell me there is more?!

Joking aside, you could look into what that course covers. I personally think I would have benefited from a course on dynamic optimization techniques or one that includes those.

Hi Insti,

Thx for ur reply:)

Here is a course description I found from our course schedule. Do u think it's what you're saying?

"Fundamentals of optimization. Linear programming: basic solutions, simplex method, duality theory. Unconstrained optimization, Newton's method for minimization. Nonlinear programming, optimality conditions for constrained problems. Additional topics from linear and nonlinear programming."

That's either the most intense course I've ever seen or I'm missing something. I took a course dedicated to just linear programming (ended up being a waste of time) during undergrad, not sure how one single course could cover all of those topics in less than 4 months .

Hi Insti,

Thx for ur reply:)

Here is a course description I found from our course schedule. Do u think it's what you're saying?

"Fundamentals of optimization. Linear programming: basic solutions, simplex method, duality theory. Unconstrained optimization, Newton's method for minimization. Nonlinear programming, optimality conditions for constrained problems. Additional topics from linear and nonlinear programming."

That does not seem very helpful to be honest. If i were you i would take a micro class which should tell you about all the relevant optimisation techniques in static environments. If you are up for it you can also take macro which will teach you dynamic optimisation. The added benefit of those classes will be to give you economic insights too.

That does not seem very helpful to be honest. If i were you i would take a micro class which should tell you about all the relevant optimisation techniques in static environments. If you are up for it you can also take macro which will teach you dynamic optimisation. The added benefit of those classes will be to give you economic insights too.

Hm..Thx! I also talked to my professor and he told me the same thing. I'll just take the Micro then:)