Urch Forums

European 2nd Year UGrad seeking advice for 2016

Umlaut

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: Europe (Econ Top10, best in country): Econ Major w Math Minor (Grade scale: 10, 9, 8, ..., 1 = pass; 0 = fail | No grade inflation whatsoever)

Undergrad GPA: ~8.5

Type of Grad: { }

Grad GPA: { }

GRE: Remains to be seen

Math Courses: Real Analysis I (Grade 8 | Relative to cohort 10/152), Real Analysis II (10 | 1/144), Linear Algebra I (9 | 6/213), Linear Algebra II/Discrete Mathematics (7 | 33/148), Introduction to Probability Theory (taking), Introduction to Statistics (Math Department) (taking)

Econ Courses (grad-level): { }

Econ Courses (undergrad-level): Principles (10 | 1/1185), Intermediate Macro (8 | 53/491), Intermediate Micro (7 | 15/170), Investments and Asse Pricing (8| 2/168)

Other Courses: Introduction to Law (6 | 21/67), Principles Accounting (9 | 4/101), some Business and other courses (8 and Top15% or better)

Letters of Recommendation: No idea. I don't think I've ever personally spoken with a prof.

Research Experience: { }

Teaching Experience: Instructor for Financial Mathematics (for non Math students) and Linear Algebra (for non Math students)

Research Interests: At this point Applied Micro, Finance, (Development) Policy

I've made some of the details (including the exact denominations of the grade scale) in the profile slightly fuzzy, in order to try and maintain anonymity - The relative rankings are exact though...

At the moment I'm looking to apply to Master's (and possibly PhD) programs at the end of my 3rd year.

If possible, I'd like to pursue a degree in the US - however, I think I'm also going to take a TopX or bust approach when it comes to studies in the US as I would like to keep the possibility of returning back to Europe open and am reasonably confident that I could get admitted to a European Top10 programme if things keep on going like this...

I guess what I'm looking for is some form of advice, mainly when it comes to the questions of

a) Where I am standing at the moment in terms of possible target universities when applying (MSc. or PhD)

b) Organising LoRs

c) Value/Tradeoff of ERASMUS semesters abroad (Bocconi/UPF/TSE)

d) Courses to take (Planning: Metrics for Math students, some obligatory field courses

e) Any insights you would want to share or improvements I could make

I'll have a go :) You seem to be doing quite well as far as coursework goes, so this may be a good time to start seeking out RA opportunities that can later help you organize LORs.

If you are planning to start your PhD after finishing a 3 years degree, do keep in mind that most people will have come in with a 4 year degree. It also seems to be the case that a lot of European applicants do a 3 year bachelors, and then a 1 year masters before they start the PhD. That might be worth considering (talk to the professors in your school to figure out the optimal path, but rushing to start a PhD is often not the best idea).

a) Really depends on whether you can get research experience and what your LORs will be like.

b) Try to RA for someone at your school to get to know them. Write a thesis. Work at a local research institute in the summer full-time / during the year part-time. Discuss the research of one of your profs with them?

c) From a personal point of view, it's a very valuable experience if you have never lived abroad. From an admissions point of view, I don't think it matters much as long as you have all the relevant courses, good grades, LORs and research experience. (Provided that you also have good grades from your exchange. Because you will need to send transcripts from all schools attended.)

d) I guess you got enough math especially with that Metics for Math Majors. As @NBZ said, you should focus on research experience.

Finally, I don't think you have ruled yourself out of even Harvard/MIT yet. But I'm not highly knowledgeable about top 10 admissions.

• 1 month later...