Urch Forums

Profile Evaluation 2015 - What are your bets?

econphd2015

Hello all,

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: Top European program

Undergrad GPA: 3.7+/4.0 (official)

Type of Grad: Another top European program (places decently every year)

Grad GPA: top 10% of cohort.

GRE: Q 167, V 159, W 3.5

Math Courses: Calc I, Vector Calculus, Linear Algebra, Intro to Stat I, Intro to Stat II, Probability Theory, Dynamical systems, Advanced proofs.

Econ Courses (grad-level): Metrics I, Metrics II, Metrics III, Micro theory I, Micro theory II, Macro I, Macro II, Applied Micro.

Econ Courses (undergrad-level): Intro to Micro, Intro to Macro, Advanced Macro, Advanced Micro, IO, Development Econ, International Econ.

Other Courses: --

Letters of Recommendation: PhD Oxford (repec 5%, got an A in his class, did my undergrad thesis with him), PhD UCLA (best in her class, RAd for her), PhD Harvard (2nd in his class, RAd for him).

Research Experience: RAd for three professors (8 months in total).

Teaching Experience: TAd in one undergrad class.

Research Interests: Metrics, micro, applied micro.

SOP: Should be fine.

Concerns: What range should I apply to?

Applying to: Stanford, Harvard, MIT, Columbia, NYU, Berkeley, UCSD, UCLA, Duke, Northwestern, Brown, UPenn, Chicago Booth, UCL, LSE, Oxford.

Are the schools I am applying for realistic? Should I throw in some other safeties?

Do you want to make a guess which one I'll get in and which ones will reject me?

In:

Waitlist:

Out:

My guess is:

In: UCSD, Duke, UCL

Waitlist: LSE, Oxford, UCLA

Out: NYU, Columbia, Northwestern, Brown, UPenn, Booth, MIT, Harvard, Stanford.

Edited by econphd2015

@NBZ Thanks for your reply! Yes, the school places students at top school frequently but I don't know the exact profiles of these students. And yes, the metrics, micro, macro courses are phd level courses and I did well on all of them. Would you like to make a guess of my results?

I am not very familiar with top 10 admissions (though you look like a pretty strong candidate). Other posters on the forum may be better able to help!

• Like 1