Urch Forums

Finance vs Econ

lindaliu

Hi,

I'm currently working on application to phd in Finance (Corporate Finance). To increase opportunities, I'm considering apply to some Econ in Business school. Because apply to Fin/Econ at the same is a strategy used by several people I have heard about. However, when I looked at research of Econ professors, I almost never saw someone doing Financial Economics, usually broad topics that I'm unfamiliar with. Thus, I'm a little concerned about this strategy although it's always said that Finance and Econ are close. Any one can give me some information about Econ program in business school doing Research close to corporate finance? Or should I try accounting?

Thank you so much!

Depends on the school. Some schools (Chicago, NYU, Harvard, Stanford) have very close ties with the respective business schools and the econ and finance departments tend to be relatively involved with each other, so it's easy to be in Finance doing non-Finance econ stuff and vice-verse (be in Econ doing very financey stuff). This is not the case in other schools, so I would suggest you contacting current graduate students to see what they think.