Urch Forums

School Has low GRE minimums & taking extra online math courses and time of completion

jcusack1

I am looking at FSU and they have GRE minimums of 151(Q) and 148 (v) (link below). This is extremely low compared to economics interest scores, mean of 160 (Q) & 154(V), from ETS (Link below). FSU doesn't have a bad ranking on US News(#64), can someone explain this to me.

I also have been taking online finish-anytime math courses from a large state school to complete the math requirements for PhD programs, but I will most likely not finished my last class(linear) before the applications deadlines in January and February. Will this hurt my application?

fsu.edu | The Application Process

http://www.ets.org/s/gre/pdf/gre_guide.pdf (page 30)

A certain billionaire once provided funding on the condition that he helped select new hires to promote an agenda. Prior to this, FSU was already a bit of an outlier, with a focus on free enterprise and economic freedom. In these fields, there doesn't have to be a lot of mathematical rigor, as they weave a story about the effects of institutions. If this is your thing, it's a great place, but I dunno how strong their faculty are in other fields.

See: Billionaire's role in hiring decisions at Florida State University raises questions | Tampa Bay Times

Dr. James Gwartney

http://www.freetheworld.com/2013/EFW2013-complete.pdf

I am looking at FSU and they have GRE minimums of 151(Q) and 148 (v) (link below). This is extremely low compared to economics interest scores, mean of 160 (Q) & 154(V), from ETS (Link below). FSU doesn't have a bad ranking on US News(#64), can someone explain this to me.

I also have been taking online finish-anytime math courses from a large state school to complete the math requirements for PhD programs, but I will most likely not finished my last class(linear) before the applications deadlines in January and February. Will this hurt my application?

fsu.edu | The Application Process

http://www.ets.org/s/gre/pdf/gre_guide.pdf (page 30)

Edited by econphd14

This does appear low, but keep in mind that it is a stated minimum. They are just letting people know that they will throw out apps with scores below those thresholds (as they should). The actual mean for accepted students could still be well above 160.

That being said, FSU, ranking outside the T50, would qualify as a "bad/not good" ranking. US News only has 75 programs whose rank is actually published so 64/75 is not that great. Their placement looks half fishy as well as they do not always list what sort of position their graduates have/had. For instance, Jensenius ('14) is not an AP or even a post-doc at Oxford. He is a RA... A program placing its graduates as RA's should raise a huge red flag.

This is not to say that FSU is bad for everyone or that any phd outside of the T50 is worthless. This info should merely serve as informing reasonable expectations for what sort of value their program would actually give a phd candidate. It is easy to get delusions of grandeur with any phd program and this board aims to serve as a nice dose of reality for all of us.