Urch Forums

Profile Evaluation for Econ Master, Fall 2015

PureB

Hi, all! I am a Chinese student and want to apply for econ masters to strengthen my profile and better prepare me for an econ or finance PhD. Please help me evaluate my profile and make some advice on my application. I'm open to everyone's opinions. Thank you in advance!

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: Bachelor's Degree in Management at a Chinese University well-known for economics and finance

Undergrad GPA: 3.78/4.0

Type of Grad: N/A

Grad GPA: N/A

GRE: V 164, Q 168, AW 4.0

Math Courses: Calculus, Linear Algebra, Probability Theory, Mathematical Statistics, Time Series Analysis

Econ Courses (undergrad-level): Intermediate Micro, Intermediate Macro, Industrial Organization, Game Theory, Information Economics, International Trade, Econometrics, Dynamic Optimization Theory, New Institutional Economics, Political Economics, and some finance courses (Investment, Corporate Finance, Empirical Finance, Financial Market & Institutions)

Econ Courses (grad-level): N/A

Reasearch Experience: Only class projects and term papers. I also worked as an assistant in a case study center, collecting data for professors to build a database.

Teaching Experience: N/A

LOR: Two from my economics professors and one from my math professor. I did well in their classes and have good relationship with them.

SOP: I’m still working on it. I will explain why I want to pursue further study in economics instead of business. (Any advice?)

Concerns:

1. I haven’t taken real analysis, stochastic process, differential equation and other math courses that are useful in economics, especially in advanced level.

2. I do not have much research experience and any paper published in a journal, and this will be problem in my CV and personal statement. Also, research experience is an important consideration when adcom evaluates a student.

Applying to: LSE, Toronto, UBC, Queen’s, UWO, McGill, SFU, Tilburg, NUS

Thank you again, and wish all of you good luck !:)

Edited by PureB

What were your grades like in your math/econ courses?

All I know about european programs is that they're gonna cost you a good chunk of money. As for Canadian programs, I wouldn't bother applying to Queen's or UWO as an international student, the competition is just too intense and unfortunately I don't think your application is gonna put you at the very top of that list. I'm not sure about McGill, but I think Toronto is also pretty picky about taking international students. They should be better than UWO/Queens though. UBC takes by far the most international students out of the Canadian MA programs, probably more than all the Canadian schools you named take combined.

I received A in all my math courses. Most of my econ courses were A, except Intermediate Macro (B) and Econometrics (B+).

Programs in UK cost a lot, but many on the European continent are partially or fully funded. I've heard that international students seldom get in UWO and Queen's, and that their small annual intakes make it even more difficult. Maybe I will not apply to other universities instead of UWO and Queen's. As for UBC, from what I've read on its website and in other Chinese forums, it is probably easier for me, as you've commented.

Thank you again for your opinions!

Edited by PureB

If I were you, I would add programs in Europe. In a lot of countries applying is free (no application fees), no GRE requirements, and they have certain scholarships available for Non-EU students. You can look at programs in Germany, Scandinavia, maybe France (not really sure how stuff works there), Spain, Italy.

Hi, all! I am a Chinese student and want to apply for econ masters to strengthen my profile and better prepare me for an econ or finance PhD. Please help me evaluate my profile and make some advice on my application. I'm open to everyone's opinions. Thank you in advance!

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: Bachelor's Degree in Management at a Chinese University well-known for economics and finance

Undergrad GPA: 3.78/4.0

Type of Grad: N/A

Grad GPA: N/A

GRE: V 164, Q 168, AW 4.0

Math Courses: Calculus, Linear Algebra, Probability Theory, Mathematical Statistics, Time Series Analysis

Econ Courses (undergrad-level): Intermediate Micro, Intermediate Macro, Industrial Organization, Game Theory, Information Economics, International Trade, Econometrics, Dynamic Optimization Theory, New Institutional Economics, Political Economics, and some finance courses (Investment, Corporate Finance, Empirical Finance, Financial Market & Institutions)

Econ Courses (grad-level): N/A

Reasearch Experience: Only class projects and term papers. I also worked as an assistant in a case study center, collecting data for professors to build a database.

Teaching Experience: N/A

LOR: Two from my economics professors and one from my math professor. I did well in their classes and have good relationship with them.

SOP: I’m still working on it. I will explain why I want to pursue further study in economics instead of business. (Any advice?)

Concerns:

1. I haven’t taken real analysis, stochastic process, differential equation and other math courses that are useful in economics, especially in advanced level.

2. I do not have much research experience and any paper published in a journal, and this will be problem in my CV and personal statement. Also, research experience is an important consideration when adcom evaluates a student.

Applying to: LSE, Toronto, UBC, Queen’s, UWO, McGill, SFU, Tilburg, NUS

Thank you again, and wish all of you good luck !:)

regarding your concerns, do not worry. most other applicants won't have those math courses either. you can take analysis when you pursue your master. Also, don't worry about publications and research experience. No other applicants will have publications that are worth anything. If they did, they would be applying to phd programs. did you complete a bachelor thesis?

I think that at some of those schools the question may be how do you compare to other applicants to China. There is a lot of competition from your fellow country man and some programs may be reluctant to admit a very large cohort of Chinese students so they may be a little more selective among Chinese applicants. But again, not so much the case for master programs as for phd programs.

btw, you did not mention, which programs in particular do you apply to at LSE, NUS, Tilburg?

If I were you, I would add programs in Europe. In a lot of countries applying is free (no application fees), no GRE requirements, and they have certain scholarships available for Non-EU students. You can look at programs in Germany, Scandinavia, maybe France (not really sure how stuff works there), Spain, Italy.

Recently, I am researching European programs, such as those offered by Tilburg, Toulouse School of Economics, Stockholm School of Economics, University of Zurich, Bocconi and CEMFI. How are those programs compared with MA of "big four"? Additionally, I want to do a PhD in North America, and I'm not sure whether European master programs are recognized here.

regarding your concerns, do not worry. most other applicants won't have those math courses either. you can take analysis when you pursue your master. Also, don't worry about publications and research experience. No other applicants will have publications that are worth anything. If they did, they would be applying to phd programs. did you complete a bachelor thesis?

I think that at some of those schools the question may be how do you compare to other applicants to China. There is a lot of competition from your fellow country man and some programs may be reluctant to admit a very large cohort of Chinese students so they may be a little more selective among Chinese applicants. But again, not so much the case for master programs as for phd programs.

btw, you did not mention, which programs in particular do you apply to at LSE, NUS, Tilburg?

I haven't started writing my bachelor thesis yet. In China, students write their bachelor's thesis the last semester of their senior year (From February to June).

I plan to apply for:

LSE: MSc Economics

NUS: MSc Economics

Tilburg: MSc Finance and MSc Econometrics and Mathematical Economics

In your opinion, what's my chance to get in these programs?

I haven't started writing my bachelor thesis yet. In China, students write their bachelor's thesis the last semester of their senior year (From February to June).

I plan to apply for:

LSE: MSc Economics

NUS: MSc Economics

Tilburg: MSc Finance and MSc Econometrics and Mathematical Economics

In your opinion, what's my chance to get in these programs?

With NUS, make sure you apply for the MSc (Research) rather than the MSc (Applied Economics). I think you shouldn't have any problem getting into NUS, but it's not the best program to help you prepare for PhD admissions. The other programs you have listed look like better bets if you can get in.

With NUS, make sure you apply for the MSc (Research) rather than the MSc (Applied Economics). I think you shouldn't have any problem getting into NUS, but it's not the best program to help you prepare for PhD admissions. The other programs you have listed look like better bets if you can get in.

Thanks for you advice. I will definitely apply for the master program by research.

Recently, I am researching European programs, such as those offered by Tilburg, Toulouse School of Economics, Stockholm School of Economics, University of Zurich, Bocconi and CEMFI. How are those programs compared with MA of "big four"? Additionally, I want to do a PhD in North America, and I'm not sure whether European master programs are recognized here.

I do not know enough about the Canadian masters to say exactly how the programs compare. The well known European masters programs are certainly recognized and valued in North America, though. As a personal preference I would prefer UBC or Toronto to European programs, but again this is just personal preference.

EDIT: I noticed you said you will apply to 3 programs in Europe, given that you are not a EU citizen that could be risky. My advice would be to apply to as many as you can, especially since as I pointed out the marginal cost of an application is not that high.

I do not know enough about the Canadian masters to say exactly how the programs compare. The well known European masters programs are certainly recognized and valued in North America, though. As a personal preference I would prefer UBC or Toronto to European programs, but again this is just personal preference.

EDIT: I noticed you said you will apply to 3 programs in Europe, given that you are not a EU citizen that could be risky. My advice would be to apply to as many as you can, especially since as I pointed out the marginal cost of an application is not that high.

Both European programs and Canadian MA programs have their pros and cons. Many European programs take two years to complete, giving students more time to take more courses, get to know professors and do some research. However, successful application for North American PhD might be more difficult. Canadian MA programs have an advantage because of locations, but students have to hastily apply for PhD after the first semester. That is a major problem of these one-year MA programs.

I will add more European programs to my list. Thanks!

Both European programs and Canadian MA programs have their pros and cons. Many European programs take two years to complete, giving students more time to take more courses, get to know professors and do some research. However, successful application for North American PhD might be more difficult. Canadian MA programs have an advantage because of locations, but students have to hastily apply for PhD after the first semester. That is a major problem of these one-year MA programs.

I will add more European programs to my list. Thanks!

Theoretically, you could do the year of school and try to pick up a RA position for the gap year if you don't apply for a PhD program straight away.

Theoretically, you could do the year of school and try to pick up a RA position for the gap year if you don't apply for a PhD program straight away.

According to my knowledge, professors' connections largely determine whether their students can find a full-time RA, which is limited to only a few students. I have sent emails twice to UBC's program contact, asking about how many students choose to apply for PhD after completing the MA, but she never replies.:upset:

I can recommend Stockholm School of Economics. The master is pretty good and it is no problem to place at good schools in the US if you do well. Some Chinese students that I know at the program has got full scholarships (tuition + living expenses).

Upon hearing SSE, the first word comes to mind is Nobel Economics Prize. It is good, but I'm not sure about its placement. If students can be fully funded, I think it's still a good choice.

Upon hearing SSE, the first word comes to mind is Nobel Economics Prize. It is good, but I'm not sure about its placement. If students can be fully funded, I think it's still a good choice.

We have some professors at the Nobel committee so there are a lot of visting professors that want to impress them ;) I am there now and most students want to stay in Sweden or Europe so looking at the placements in the US doesn't say much about the potential for US placements. But historically good students who want to go to the US have got good placements. LSE, UCL and a couple of more is better if you want to go to the US, but it is a good back-up option.

We have some professors at the Nobel committee so there are a lot of visting professors that want to impress them ;) I am there now and most students want to stay in Sweden or Europe so looking at the placements in the US doesn't say much about the potential for US placements. But historically good students who want to go to the US have got good placements. LSE, UCL and a couple of more is better if you want to go to the US, but it is a good back-up option.

Nobel Committee? That sounds awesome! I will find more info about SSE and give it serious consideration. Thanks!