Urch Forums

No letter from prof I (briefly) RA'd for

fakeo

So I RA'd for a prof for a relatively short period of time. I will not be asking her for a LOR. Should I still mention this RAship in my CV and in a brief paragraph in my SOP (to describe what I did in 3-4 lines)? Or will the adcoms find it weird that I have no letter from the prof I RA'd for? The prof didn't teach me any course, and I had no contact with her beyond this RAship. In other words, we didn't develop a close relationship, but she was satisfied with my work.

To me (I am not an adcom), it would seem perfectly normal that an applicant goes with their 3 strongest letters, even if they worked with other professors. I see no harm in including this in your CV and/or SOP, clearly you are not planning to make this the star of your SOP.

Thanks for the replies.

The length of the RA position was long-ish (several months) with infrequent meetings (1-2/month). The amount of work is hard to estimate, as I worked at home and I didn't really time it.

Yes, I think my other three letters would be stronger than hers. In particular, she indicated that she's willing to write me a letter but our working relationship was brief, so she'd suggest I look for someone else. My other three references on the other hand were all quite enthusiastic to help.

Indeed, this is not gonna be the central theme of my SOP. I just want to mention it as a research experience and explain in 3-4 lines what it really entailed.

Thanks for the replies.

The length of the RA position was long-ish (several months) with infrequent meetings (1-2/month). The amount of work is hard to estimate, as I worked at home and I didn't really time it.

Yes, I think my other three letters would be stronger than hers. In particular, she indicated that she's willing to write me a letter but our working relationship was brief, so she'd suggest I look for someone else. My other three references on the other hand were all quite enthusiastic to help.

Indeed, this is not gonna be the central theme of my SOP. I just want to mention it as a research experience and explain in 3-4 lines what it really entailed.

Is this your only​ RA experience?

It's the only RA experience. However, I did write a Master's thesis, which I emphasize much more in my SOP, and which was definitely more serious and useful.

Given that you have done a Master's thesis, I agree with NBZ that I don't think that you have anything to worry about. I would still include it in your CV, and I don't think that it will be given much thought by the adcoms. If you were an undergrad, on the other hand, where Honors thesis can vary so much in quality (regardless of the grade), I think adcoms might read more into the fact that you were an RA but one of your three letters is not from that person.