Urch Forums

best masters in econ from Europe for Phd in US?

Sukriti2hats

Hi everyone,

I want to apply for Masters in Econ in Europe. I ultimately want to pursue a PhD from USA. The reason why I want to pursue masters from europe is that in my country (non EU) bologna process is followed so my bachelors degree is of 3 years and 3 year degree is not accepted for phd admissions in USA unless u have a msc economics as well.

Also, I am looking for cheaper options so most of the uk is out of my reach.

I have zeroed upon the following, kindly let me know your views on which ones will provide as a stepping stone to top phd programs in usa.

Barcelona GSE, Bocconi, CEMFI, Tinbergen, Tilburg, toulouse, pse

UCL and warwick (if i get funding)

Also, I read that Central European University placed students in top phd programs but their ranking is very low so would it still be a good option?

Reply soon (will be taking GRE in 2 days so need to indicate institutions for sending scores)

• 2 weeks later...
Hi everyone,

I want to apply for Masters in Econ in Europe. I ultimately want to pursue a PhD from USA. The reason why I want to pursue masters from europe is that in my country (non EU) bologna process is followed so my bachelors degree is of 3 years and 3 year degree is not accepted for phd admissions in USA unless u have a msc economics as well.

Also, I am looking for cheaper options so most of the uk is out of my reach.

I have zeroed upon the following, kindly let me know your views on which ones will provide as a stepping stone to top phd programs in usa.

Barcelona GSE, Bocconi, CEMFI, Tinbergen, Tilburg, toulouse, pse

UCL and warwick (if i get funding)

Also, I read that Central European University placed students in top phd programs but their ranking is very low so would it still be a good option?

Reply soon (will be taking GRE in 2 days so need to indicate institutions for sending scores)

Hi!

I am a student at Tilburg University.

At our university you can do a Master's program in Economics, which I am also a student of, so if you would like some of my experiences with the program you can let me know. So far, I really like the program, the courses are challenging and diverse and you can choose your own track of interest. Also there are a lot of international students so there is a nice international environment.

Tilburg University also has a Research Master in Economics. This Master is intended to prepare you for a PhD. Therefore, it might be suitable for you!. However, this program takes 2 years, whereas the regular progam in Economics takes 1 year. It is not really obliged to have followed the Research Mastre program, several students attended the regular program and now do a PhD. One of them was accepted into Oxford, and I know a friend of mine is accepted as a PhD student in Florence.

Please let me know if you would like more information! I might be able to help you!

Regards,

Monique

I wouldn't second advice above; Tilburgs applied MS does not contain classical macro/micro/metrics courses and will not help PhD applications in the US much. Consider LSE and Oxbridge and apply for funding, they seem obvious choices.. Rest on your list looks fine, though I think BGSE and UCL are your best options, as well as Toulouse as long as you're into their micro-stuff. About the central european university I don't know much, but it seems inferior to all other schools on your list. Edited by MR14