Urch Forums

Which GRE score should I send

FlyZee

I am an international application who have taken the GRE twice. My verbal and AW has improved weakly but with a lower Q.

1st attempt: 150V /170Q /3.0AWA

2nd attempt: 153V/168Q/3.5AWA

FYI, My TOEFL score is 106/120. I am not planning to take another one due to limited time. Which score should I use?

Thanks so much!!!

Independent of the TOEFL score (considering I know nothing about it and what that score translate in terms of your English ability), I think the two are very much identical.

You could survey 100 people and I think you would have a 50/50 or a 60/40 split. I think the second attempt is better since the difference of a 3.5 from 3.0 is greater than a 170 and 168. This is even with ignoring the marginal improvement on the Verbal.

I think it's a tough call, since while I agree w/the points of the others above, programs place much more weight on quant, and a perfect quant is very impressive. I'd consider sending both scores.

The last thing I would call a perfect quant is "very impressive".

A 170 tells me almost nothing over a 168.

The last thing I would call a perfect quant is "very impressive".

A 170 tells me almost nothing over a 168.

Agreed. Especially if you're an international student from East Asia you've had four more years of hardcore algebra and geometry than a typical American student before even going to university, and that's really what the GRE tests.

And don't send both scores. You want adcoms to believe that the 3.5 (or 3.0) is a draw from the left side of the probability distribution, since it's an atypically low score. Sending both scores immediately Bayesian-updates the entire perceived probability distribution towards the left.

Agreed. Especially if you're an international student from East Asia you've had four more years of hardcore algebra and geometry than a typical American student before even going to university, and that's really what the GRE tests.

Then, if an international student from East Asia cannot score 170 in Q, would that be a big problem?