Urch Forums

Tilburg - Msc Economics help - Is it good for Macro I Need to accept offer by Monday

sahz14

Dear All,

This is Ali. I would like to pursue my studies in economics and focus on macroeconomics and policy .

I have got an admission offer at the MSC program at Tilbug Msc program ( with no tuition waiver). but i will first need to do the pre masters. I would like to request your guidance about the masters program whether it provide good specialization in macroeconomics as my focus is to study Macroeconomics and policy . However looking at MSc program structure and specialization tracks, it seems to me that there are not much macroeconomics courses in Tilburg Msc economics. Kindly guide me what are the options to study macroeconomics at tilburg Msc economics. From the website its seems there are good variety of course but there are not being offered in the MSc program structure. Please guide .

thanks and regards

Ali

Dear Ali,

How are you?

The other response also mentioned a lack of courses in Macroeconomics.

I find that the opposite of this is true, we have few of the best Macroeconomics professors in Europe.

Maybe you can take a look at the descriptions of the courses.

If you go to this link : http://mystudy.uvt.nl/it10.rSelectTa...rt=ma&actief=2

Here you can find a list of all the courses and their possible electives. a lot of macroeconomics is found in the International Economics and Finance track (the Finance is more Financial Economics) or the Resource Growth and development track. Also, you do not necessarily have to choose a track. You can also just choose courses you like.

Also if you look at the Research Master in Economics, which is our prepatory program of a PhD. This means that it educates you in multiple parts of Economics, so you will definitely be prepared to choose your track for your PhD. But Macroeconomics is a large part of the program.

You can find the curriculum here: https://www.tilburguniversity.edu/ed...am/curriculum/

You can click on the courses to see their subscriptions.

I myself are more a Microeconomist and I felt there were more Macroeconomics courses to choose from than Microeconomics courses. The other response said that the other schools might be better. This is everybody's own opinion of course, but I really like the intensity and Tilburg University is once again chosen as the best University of the Netherlands in the field of Economics.

I hope this information helps! For other questions please let me know!

Regards,

Monique

The MSc program generally does not prepare for a PhD and if that's your ambition I do not recommend it. Tilburg also does not have any faculty active in the field of business cycles, so whether it is good for macro depends on how you define macro. There are some profs in development/pensions that are pretty good at that, but I think the university is known best for its industrial organization/behav. economics faculty. Alternatively, many profs are actively busy with policy and placement at Dutch policy institutes has been good in recent years. There is a lot of focus on application in the program, which might be (or not be) what you want. Again it depends on your ambition. For a PhD it will not help you much, for a career in policy it might be a good fit.

If you want to know whether you'll like the program's courses, just look at the course curriculum as suggested above.