Urch Forums

Profile Evaluation - PhD Economics or PhD Public Policy

n517

Hi, this is my first post and I would really like everyone's input on what my chances are of getting into a PhD program in either economics or public policy

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: top state university in native country, BBA - Economics

Undergrad GPA: 3.41 (CGPA), 3.57 (MGPA)

Type of Grad: same university, MA - Economics

Grad GPA: 3.18

GRE: 155 (Q) (retaking it in a month, not sure how I can get it higher though)

Math Courses: Calculus I © (This is the soul-crushing factor imo)

Econ Courses (grad-level): Micro (B), Macro (B), Econometrics (A), App. Micro (A-), App. Macro (A-), International Trade (B-), Development (B)

Econ Courses (undergrad-level): Math for Econ (A-), Inter Micro (C+), Inter Macro (A-), Econometrics (A-), Public Finance (A), Financial Economics (A-), Stats 1 (A), Stats 2 (B+)

Other Courses:

Letters of Recommendation: MA Dissertation Advisor (interested in coauthoring my dissertation and getting it published), Former boss at development policy think tank, need one more (possibly a high profile female member of parliament whom I worked for during election campaign)

Research Experience: MA dissertation (highly empirical), singlehandedly built a database of historical economic data in the region (very difficult to compile; almost drove me insane)

Teaching Experience: None

Research Interests: Health, Education, Income Inequality, Development, Labor

SOP: still working on it, but will talk mostly about my dissertation and my last job which was an editor for an annual publication on economic issues in the region plus the database as I mentioned before.

Concerns: Math background, GREs, (anything else?)

Other: I can get external funding for the econ phd (fully funded) but not for the public policy program

Applying to: UT-Austin (economics and/or public policy), UC Sant Cruz (economics), Duke (economics and/or public policy), UNC Chapel Hill (Economics), Oregon (economics)

Thank you for your time and I would really appreciate your feedback

This is a rare case in which I agree with the above poster. But I wouldn't even think about a PhD in either until you have at least completed Calc II and Linear Algebra. You don't have to get straight A's, but get them done, and do better than a C.

I'm in a mid-ranked ARE program and I watched people with poor math backgrounds drop like flies during the first year.