Urch Forums

Sophomore, questions about grades and course planning

robotlincoln

Hi all,

I'm currently a sophomore at a top-10 economics school, planning to do a double-major in statistics and economics, and thinking about going for a PhD. However, my grades in my first two semesters were somewhat poor, and I'm wondering what I should do to improve them / prove to top schools that I can handle a PhD program.

This is what I've got so far in the way of technical classes:

First Semester:

Intro Calculus-Based Physics (B-)

Multivariate Calculus ©

Intro Economics (Micro and Macro) (B+)

Second Semester:

Linear Algebra and Differential Equations (A-)

Mathematical Probability (B+)

Discrete Mathematics (B)

Current GPA: 3.14

Current Schedule (Fall 2014):

Intermediate Micro

Statistical Computing

Intro to Research in Statistics (seminar)

Plan for Next Semester:

Intermediate Macro

Honors Multivariate Calc (more proof-based, but counts as a repeat of first)

Second Course in Linear Algebra (we're using Axler's book)

Mathematical Statistics

The statistics department won't allow me to declare the major with a C in Multivariable Calc, so I'm going to be taking the honors version of it next semester as a repeat, however, under my school's repeat policy that won't affect my GPA.

Honestly, I'm scared by how many people on this forum claim you need to have straight As (and few A-s) for admission to good programs. Generally in my math/stats classes, only 10-15% of students get As, maybe 20-25% counting A-s. But, assuming I can pull my grades up to that level, my questions are:

How much will my early grades affect me if I'm able to improve to mostly A/A-s in upper-div courses, and decide to go for a PhD? What should I do to make up for them?

What internship opportunities should I look into this summer with my low GPA? (I had been hoping to work at my regional fed bank, would that be possible with a ~3.3?)

What math courses should I take to prove I've improved in these subjects?

TL;DR: How do I make up for bad grades my first year?

Pure speculation, but I imagine RA applications would be autorejected from applicants with less than a 3.5.

The best way to make up for bad grades in your first year is to get better grades later on. You shouldn't bank on being one of those diamonds in the rough who are Nobel laureates in waiting but just happen to do poorly in coursework.

Just focus on getting the best grades possible. Once you get further along in your program, professors will be able to accurately decide on your potential. If your professors think you are truly great, they will be more than happy to write in their LOR's that your first year grades are not representative of your abilities.