Urch Forums

Mathematics for economists instead of math

Hyung Gyu Rho

I recently changed my decision to pursue studying economics at PhD level. But one problem is that I didn't take any math subjects as I didn't feel it was needed. But I cannot take math subjects anymore as I am studying overseas (uni didn't let me take). So as detour, I took three mathematics for economists which cover optimisation, calculus, matrix, real analysis and differential equation. Obviously, it has less contents than pure maths. But do you think these maths for econ are enough to be admitted?

I want to study applied economics (I/O, game theory) at business school

Type of Undergrad: Bcom(H) Economics at top Aus uni, top 20 in econ in the world according to topuniversity

H1:80+

H2A:75-80

H2B:70+

Undergrad GPA: average H1 (score more than 80) econ only, my uni doesn't have GPA system..

Type of Grad: N/A

Grad GPA: N/A

GRE:Q:170, V:150, W: 4

Math Courses: linear algebra, calculus 3, differential equation (A all three from NetMath online) mathmatical for evonomist (next year)

Econ Courses (grad-level): Game theory, advanced I/O, adcanced micro&macro, advanced econometrics (next year)

Econ Courses (undergrad-level): three of microecon three of macro econ (one is h2b,equivalent to B I guess) courses, I/O, economics of financial market, quantitative method 1,2 (h2b for method2) basic econometrics(h2b, equivalent to a-, from what I heard) , econometrics (other than that all H1)

Other Courses: investment(h1) derivatives security(h1) corporate finance (h1) not sure this is relevant

Letters of Recommendation: honours thesis advisor (MIT Phd), another from associated professors (I heard he is fairly famous) and one other from lecturer from the class that I was top student,

Research Experience: Honors Thesis on game theory

Teaching Experience: Tutoring in undergrat econ

Research Interests: I/O, game thoery

SOP: good enough according to peers

Concerns: maths..

Other: won an award from economics of financial market

which university is reasonable possible for me to apply in the US, considering that I get all H1 from ongoing subjects? Also I wanna do apply to applied economics in business school

Type of Undergrad: Bcom(H) Economics at top Aus uni, top 20 in econ in the world according to topuniversity

H1:80+

H2A:75-80

H2B:70+

Undergrad GPA: average H1 (score more than 80) econ only, my uni doesn't have GPA system..

Type of Grad: N/A

Grad GPA: N/A

GRE:Q:170, V:150, W: 4

Math Courses: linear algebra, calculus 3, differential equation (A all three from NetMath online) mathmatical for evonomist (next year)

Econ Courses (grad-level): Game theory, advanced I/O, adcanced micro&macro, advanced econometrics (next year)

Econ Courses (undergrad-level): three of microecon three of macro econ (one is h2b,equivalent to B I guess) courses, I/O, economics of financial market, quantitative method 1,2 (h2b for method2) basic econometrics(h2a, equivalent to a-, from what I heard) , econometrics (other than that all H1)

Other Courses: investment(h1) derivatives security(h1) corporate finance (h1) not sure this is relevant

Letters of Recommendation: honours thesis advisor (MIT Phd), another from associated professors (I heard he is fairly famous) and one other from lecturer from the class that I was top student,

Research Experience: Honors Thesis on game theory

Teaching Experience: Tutoring in undergrat econ

Research Interests: I/O, game thoery

SOP: good enough according to peers

Concerns: maths..

Other: won an award from economics of financial market

which university is reasonable possible for me to apply in the US, considering that I get all H1 from ongoing subjects? Also I wanna do apply to applied economics in business school