Urch Forums

Questions about preparing for Econ PhD

chenzheng

Hi Alls,

I am a current transferred sophomore@Columbia and have great interest in Econ PhD. More interested in Econ PhD, but working for a famous consulting firm would be the top priority. (its hard to find a summer intern or summer research opportunity for international students tho...)

I might spend another 4 years at Columbia, double major in Economics-Mathematics and Political Science. (Seems like a triple major lol) Would my courses choice be enough for a T10 program? And since I have already taken 1 year's gap, I might be nearly 24 years old if I spent another 4 years for undergraduate. Would age matter?

Here are the Econ/Math courses:

Economics-Mathematics + Political Science(4 years):

Math: Calculus1, Calculus2, Calculus3, Calculus4, Linear Algebra, Analysis and Optimization, ODE, PDE, Real Analysis, Abstract Algebra, Topology

Statistics: Intro to Statistics, Intro to Probability and Statistics, Intro to Statistics Interference

Economics: Principle of Economics, Intermediate Micro, Intermediate Macro, Intro to Econmetrics, Advanced Macro, Advanced Micro, Advanced Econmetrics, Game Theory, Honor Seminar

* If these courses are not enough, I could attend a summer school, which means that I could have 5 more courses in Econ/Math.(but also lose one summer's internship/research opportunity tho)

Thanks for your help!

obviously, your courses will be good enough for any phd program. better if you can take some additional graduate level courses

but i would say the more important thing for you is to figure out what you really want to do after graduation: work or graduate school. Hard to have both. Better make an early choice so that you have more time to prepare for it

I would assume you are at Columbia, the university, rather than the country. In this case go and ask your professors and advisers. It is an amazing school with amazing professors who send people to amazing PhD programs every year (including their own), they have vastly more experience and understanding of the profession than any of us here (unless some of their professors are on this board). Talk to them, be completely open and they will help you. I am yet to meet or hear of a professor who hates helping their students do the best they can.