Urch Forums

Profile Evaluation/Advice: Post Undergrad LAC student

Soxfan

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: Top 5/10 Liberal Arts

Undergrad GPA: 3.52 (3.92 Econ 3.44 Geography)

GRE: Haven't taken yet, 165+ for Verbal/Quantitative on practice tests

Math Courses: Calc II (B+) Linear Algebra (C+)

Stat Courses: Econ Statistics (A) Regression analysis (A) Empirical Economic Research Methods (A-)

Econ Courses (undergrad-level): Micro/Macro Theory (both As at a different school (top 25 LAC), not counted in overall GPA) Environmental Econ (A) Urban Econ (A-) International Development Seminar (A) Thesis (A and Highest Honors)

Letters of Recommendation: 2 Professors at College, 1 who I did research with and was my thesis adviser (really likes me and I took 5 classes with), 1 who taught my seminar. 1 From my current job at an Econ Consulting Firm

Research Experience: RA for a professor at my College, Thesis

Teaching Experience: TA for 3 classes

Research Interests: IO, Labor, Applied Micro, Transportation

So overall this is not a very impressive resume. I knew I couldn't get into any econ program out of college so I'm working at an economic consulting firm now (in competition and antitrust). I have my thesis (focused on airline mergers) that has a novel methodology and a decent result (Professor thought I had a decent shot at International Journal of Industrial Organization with some rewriting). Its probably publishable if I put some more work into it. Additionally I need more math courses. I'm looking at taking courses at Harvard Extension and I figure I need to retake Linear Algebra and take some new classes as well (multi-variate calc and maybe Real analysis?). The earliest I'd apply is next fall, but I'd be fine with delaying another year to take some more courses.

My questions are what other math courses do I need to take past Linear, would attempting to publish my thesis help at all, and is there any way I could even get this type of resume into a PhD program? I'm not super interested in a top 50 placement post PhD, my ideal would actually be a top 30 LAC (I went to one and grew up with my dad teaching at one and I love to teach), but I'm not sure that this would be achievable even with some additional brushing up.

Would going and getting a Masters help significantly? Would I have a better shot going for a Business PhD? or are my chances pretty much shot already?

Thanks for the help

Edited by Soxfan

This has "see FAQ" written all over it, but the math course suggestions are as follows:

Need to take:

-Multivariate calc (calc III)

-Linear Algebra

De facto need to take:

-Probability theory

-A course in proof writing (if you don't want to immediately jump into high level math)

Strongly suggest taking:

-Real analysis

Since your goal is top-30 LAC, why not look at a few faculty lists within that range? It is a safe assumption that you will need to get into an as good or better program than they did in order to teach there now.

You would definitely be more competitive in a Business PhD, but that is because Econ PhD programs are so ridiculously competitive.

Once you learn a little more about what would be required for you to teach at your schools of choice (see point 2), then we can more accurately evaluate your chances.

Econ-based doctoral programs in business schools tend to be more competitive than their econ department counterparts (this doesn't mean they wouldn't be a good fit for you though). They tend to place into business school positions, which are also teaching-oriented, but probably entails a very different sort of teaching atmosphere compared to a LAC.

I go to a T40 liberal arts college with a strong emphasis on teaching, and most of the economics professors here have PhD's from T20 programs. The few that don't have research published in top journals. So unfortunately, it seems that placement into these types of programs probably requires a highly ranked PhD.

I go to a T40 liberal arts college with a strong emphasis on teaching, and most of the economics professors here have PhD's from T20 programs. The few that don't have research published in top journals. So unfortunately, it seems that placement into these types of programs probably requires a highly ranked PhD.

Liberal arts education is often very expensive. They want to sell their program by pointing to their professors with extremely competitive degrees. It's of course not necessarily a dog and pony show, as many LAC place very well for graduate programs, but there seems to be less of an emphasis on research at most LAC (with respect to the requirements of a professor) than comparably ranked universities with Econ PhD programs. So, in line with what Econgirl has said, you would want to get into a very good program.