Urch Forums

Differential Equations?

athlee

Can anyone comment on the usefulness of taking differential equations? I'm trying to decide whether or not I should take it next semester. What I've heard is that class is very difficult without having a background in physics (which I do not), as most of the class's focus is on physics applications and rarely delves into economics. I understand that differential equations is used in optimization theory, but if it's mostly focused on physics, then I feel like taking it wouldn't be too helpful and not worth the burden.

If I were to not take it, I could take Calculus 4 next semester instead and be able to fit in Stochastic Processes in the coming year. On the other hand, Differential Eqs, in our school, has 200-level math classes listed as co-reqs meaning if I don't take it this year, I'll never have the chance to take it again.

Any thoughts?

1. Parametrizations, inverse and implicit functions, integrals with respect to length and area; grad, div, and curl, theorems of Green, Gauss, and Stokes

2. Yes, but taking it next semester will free up space for me to take Stochastic Processes next year.

If you have already taken some sort of proofs related class, or will have a chance to in coming semesters, I would take diff eqs. That class will almost certainly be more applicable to the material you see in grad school. Even if it is geared towards physics, the techniques are the same. If you get to use computers that's also a plus. The main draw of calc 4 is more experience with proofs. If you are taking other higher level math courses then there is nothing to worry about by missing calc 4.

hmm by looking at what yoy would be learning in Calc IV I am sure you could teach your self ODE which is very important knowledge. So if you do not care about knowing Diff Eq without having it in your record, I would keep Calc IV. In order to be able to take Stoch Processes which is a very useful course as well. The book Mathematical Economics from Alpha Chiang is a great book to learn Diff Eq.

Greetings and Good Luck!