Urch Forums

Profile Evaluation: Econ PhD, Fall 2015

jonthawk

I'm currently started freaking out about my plans for next year!

I have a sense that I'm a relatively strong candidate, but I'm really not sure where I fit in terms of schools that might accept me.

Is top 10 too high? Maybe I should aim more for the 10-20 range? Lower?

Also I have this crazy plan about getting a masters in Europe and trying again. I'd love to get some feedback on whether or not that makes sense!

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: T 40 Public - Big state school.

Undergrad GPA: 3.98/4.0

Type of Grad: N/A

Grad GPA: N/A

GRE: V170/Q167/5

Math Courses: Hon Calc 2-4, HOn Linear Algebra I & II, Hon Modern Algebra, Hon Intro ODEs, Intro Prob & Stats, Probability Theory I (hon) & II, Numerical Analysis, Real Analysis (Hon intro and graduate level), Hon Intro Complex Analysis

Econ Courses (grad-level): 1st year Micro sequence, Game Theory, Growth - next semester IO, Network Games

Econ Courses (undergrad-level): Intro Micro, Intro Macro, Micro Theory, Macro Theory, Poverty and Wealth, Econometrics I, Game Theory, plus Advanced Econometrics and Development Economics (B+) at LSE. (all As or A+s except for the one B+)

Other Courses: Computer Science BA, French minor

Letters of Recommendation:

1) My Prof for game theory and the graduate micro sequence

2) Prof that I took honors intro micro with, was his TA for two semesters. Close relationship.

3) Prof who I took micro theory, poverty and wealth, and grad growth with, current adviser for honors thesis.

Research Experience: Honors thesis on measuring poverty with Engel curves, work on empirical pricing dynamics with informatics prof (game theory+machine learning+some information theory.) Nothing concrete but enough to talk about.

Teaching Experience: Three semesters of Micro Theory, one of intro macro, one of Data Structures (CS)

Research Interests: Game theory, behavioral models, dynamics and disequilibrium. Maybe IO?

SOP: Standard. I found a couple of people at each school whose work I'm interested in, so I'll tailor towards each program. Broadly interested in applications to development. Will try to work in research and extracurriculars.

Concerns: I come from a less prestigious university/program. No solid research.

Other: I founded an Economics club at my university and helped start a social impact fund. I am also a peer adviser for the office of financial literacy.

Are these things that I should play up or is coursework/ research the main thing?

I'm also interested in the impact of doing a masters at PSE or the Tripos vs. going straight into a (possibly lower than my target) PhD? Is it worth it to do the masters and then reapply (assuming that I'll really enjoy both?)

Applying to: APE/ETE Masters at Paris School of Economics, Cambridge Tripos, MIT, Harvard, Yale, Columbia, Northwestern, Brown

A couple of my friends (who I compare pretty evenly with) have gone to or been admitted to the Tripos, so I feel like that's pretty safe. PSE also has a reasonably high acceptance rate. My current plan is to see if I get into any of my "reach" PhDs, and if not, do a masters and reapply. I've received mixed opinions about whether this is a good idea. I'd really appreciate your thoughts!

Thanks!

One of my advisors (top5) said that professors don't really like seeing the same application in back to back years. So with that in mind, is it a one year or a two year program?

That being said -- adcoms change and thus applying in back to back years will at least get a different set of eyes on things. It's also just N=1 so I'm not convinced fully that this is something you should consider.