Urch Forums

Profile Evaluation Phd Economics 2015 fall

likhitavasthi

Type of Undergrad-Bachelor in IT (3 yrs)

Undergrad %age - 70 (india)

Type of Grad-MBA Finance

Grad cgpa - 7.35/10

GRE - 163Q 159V

Math courses

Under grad

Numerical Methods (linear programming, calculus, differential equations) 1 year (2 sems) score 63/100

Statistics (probability, multivariate analysis, calculus) 1 year (2 sems) 55/100

Grad

Micro Economics 1 semester Grade B

Macro Economics 1 semester Grade B

UnderGrad %age - 70

Grad Cgpa - 7.35/10

letter of recommendation - 2 from professors in Economics and one from Professor in maths detailing research and analytical skills

Reseach Exp - nil

Teaching Exp - 1.5 yrs ( Resesrch Methodologies and Micro/Macro Economics)

Research Interest - Macro Economics, International Trade, Financial Economics

I'm not too familiar with India's grading schemes, where would these grades put you in the grade distribution? Top 10%? Top 5%? Top 20%? Some of them look a little troubling.

Moreover, all of your MBA classes will be ignored/discounted by an Econ adcom. You should know that if you claim an MBA prepared you for Econ PhDs, you will not be taken seriously, even if it is true.

I'm not too familiar with India's grading schemes, where would these grades put you in the grade distribution? Top 10%? Top 5%? Top 20%? Some of them look a little troubling.

Moreover, all of your MBA classes will be ignored/discounted by an Econ adcom. You should know that if you claim an MBA prepared you for Econ PhDs, you will not be taken seriously, even if it is true.

Those scores put me in the top 20% category. Thanks for enlightening me on the MBA preparing Econ Phd situation. Since I was a student of Non Medical (pre engineering) I took two years of advanced math courses in higher secondary education too which included probability, calculus, differential equations, statistics, multi variate analysis). Those scores put me in the top 25% category.

If there is any other info which you seek to elicit to better evaluate my chances feel free to do so. Otherwise do suggest what universities I can target? I am realistically looking at those with ranks in 25-40 range.

As for the Economics courses i took them for two semesters only, was taught by a distinguished Phd Faculty and i do have a good grasp on the concepts too. I don't know how that can reflect on my application to make it of any value to the adcom.

In addition to the information I furnished in the previous reply, I want to add that I have a total industry experience of almost 10 years:- 6 months in economic analysis for a MNC at their corporate office, 2.5 years of general management profiles from Business Head to COO for a start up, 5 years of corporate training experience in finance and general management topics and finally 1.5 years of experience teaching Research Methodology and Economics.

I want to enroll for a Phd Economics in 2015 fall in any case. I have very good LOR's and will make a decent SOP too. So now evaluate the profile in totality and suggest if I have a shot at a decent Phd Econ (25-45 rank) or should I rather focus on a Phd in Management, strategy or finance?

P.S - Any one who can evaluate, give feedback and help me decide is appreciated in advance.