Urch Forums

Michigan Ford Public Policy

publicaffairsny

The Phd in public policy at Michigan is unqiue in that you select a social science discipline to specialize in (econ, poli sci, or sociology). The admissions website says you must gain acceptance to both the public policy department and the disciplinary department you apply for. Does anyone have any insight as to whether the candidates for the econ track in public policy are judged by the same standards as applicants to the straight econ phd?

Sure but strong math prep is different than having the profile to get into Michigan's econ program.

I think what public is saying is: is someone only going to be admitted if they would normally get admitted to the econ program (i.e. beating out the other candidates, not just being a qualified candidate). -OR, are the requirements still the same, and as long as you meet those requirements you will not be inherently turned down if you would have in the Econ, because of the stiff competition.

I'd argue that getting into Public Policy - Econ is marginally easier because the probably do not have as many applicants.

Its a joint program which means that you have to be accepted to both departments. The econ department will not give your application any special treatment. Anything other than the usual assortment of A's in math and near perfect GREs will end up being rejected.

Its a joint program which means that you have to be accepted to both departments. The econ department will not give your application any special treatment. Anything other than the usual assortment of A's in math and near perfect GREs will end up being rejected.

Oh -- all that work and you come out with a public policy degree? That seems like cruel and unusual punishment.

Oh -- all that work and you come out with a public policy degree? That seems like cruel and unusual punishment.

You'll earn a joint degree. How this benefits you I'm not quite sure. I suppose the main advantage is interacting with researchers across departments and being given a bit of leeway to do something less "economics-y".