Urch Forums

No math but taking PhD courses

Hyung Gyu Rho

Hi,

I will be studying honours degree (Australian fourth year). And i am allowed to take not only graduate courses (advanced micro and macro), but also PhD courses for micro and macro. I asked them if I can take real analysis, but it seems impossible because of school policy. Anyway, if math is considered important simply because it is essential to PhD courses, and if I score A(HD) for phd courses, can it be compensation for no maths courses? Actually I studied by myself, including multivariable calculus and linear algebra, some of real analysis. So i think I can get A.

Also, if you can choose between PhD courses and advanced I/O and game theory, which one would you choose, based on that your research interest lying on I/O

Hi,

I will be studying honours degree (Australian fourth year). And i am allowed to take not only graduate courses (advanced micro and macro), but also PhD courses for micro and macro. I asked them if I can take real analysis, but it seems impossible because of school policy. Anyway, if math is considered important simply because it is essential to PhD courses, and if I score A(HD) for phd courses, can it be compensation for no maths courses? Actually I studied by myself, including multivariable calculus and linear algebra, some of real analysis. So i think I can get A.

Also, if you can choose between PhD courses and advanced I/O and game theory, which one would you choose, based on that your research interest lying on I/O

I would talk to your professors. I know people on here have mentioned that adcomms take into account restrictions in foreign university situations that prevent people from freely enrolling in math like they can in the us. I would guess that most australian undergrad econ programs are trying to send people to american phds. Ask your profs what other successful applicants have done and where they have placed.