Urch Forums

Oxford mphil 2015

gradapplicant

I'd like to get the ball rolling

How are you guys finding the process?

Does anyone know whether we can submit a 4000 word essay instead of 2, 2000 word essays?

Have you guys taken GRE? Site says 164 is minimum. That's quite high, imho

Oh and what about colleges? I think i will put down nuffiled as my choice. What about you guys?

so many questions!

I'd like to get the ball rolling

How are you guys finding the process?

Does anyone know whether we can submit a 4000 word essay instead of 2, 2000 word essays?

Have you guys taken GRE? Site says 164 is minimum. That's quite high, imho

Oh and what about colleges? I think i will put down nuffiled as my choice. What about you guys?

so many questions!

I don't know consensus on here is GRE minimums are hard and fast unless mitigated by unusual strengths elsewhere. 164 is not quite high, it is actually low for competitive phd applicants. For masters programs the standards are different, but my impression is that oxfords MPhil is one of the top masters programs in the world.

I just emailed the department's graduate admissions officer to ask the same question and got this rather comprehensive response:

"You do need to submit two pieces of writing of 2,000 words each, however, the samples do not need to have been an assessed piece of work, so it is possible to write something specifically for your application. Additionally, you would be able to submit two

separate sections of your thesis provided they don't overlap too much."

Hope it helps! Good luck!

...Does anyone know whether we can submit a 4000 word essay instead of 2, 2000 word essays?

Usually, it is best to assume that requirements are actually binding, but I would not be too worried about a hard limit. My two essays in my application were ~2400 words (excerpt from summer research) and ~2200 words (from coursework). I would not fret too much over it, but then again I can really only say that it did not overly harm my application as I got in.

...Have you guys taken GRE? Site says 164 is minimum. That's quite high, imho..

On the contrary, that is anything but high (for the quant section). The quant section is equivalent to what high school students in the US have to be tested on to get into university (ACT/SAT) and a 164+ should be obtainable with very limited amounts of prep work. I would imagine that the median score for students who had to take it and were then accepted would be around 168 or so, tho this is just a conjecture.

..Oh and what about colleges? I think i will put down nuffiled as my choice...

Nuffield is a great choice. On financial matters, I believe that everyone here received funding from either the ESRC or the college itself. On social/academic matters, you cannot beat the community here. However, there are lots of great colleges and you should certainly look around in order to make a fully informed decision. Every college has its pros and cons.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

any inside info on when decisions will be handed out?

2014 most decisions came out 17/18 march

2013 most came about a week earlier

Looking at gradcafe there's only 1 phd acceptance, and it came out on the 2nd of March (usually they come out a week earlier in feb?), so im expecting at least a couple more weeks

greenhorse,

do they mean decisions as in they will email their decisions from this week to the end of march (i.e. they have already made their decisions and are in the process of sending them now)?

wait i think i just confused myself. Damn i'm getting so nervous.

good luck to everyone!

As a current student at Nuffield, Oxford (MPhil Econ), just wanted to say please feel free to shoot me a message or comment here if you have any questions about the programme. (Though note that I don't have any privileged info on when decisions come out!)

As a current student at Nuffield, Oxford (MPhil Econ), just wanted to say please feel free to shoot me a message or comment here if you have any questions about the programme. (Though note that I don't have any privileged info on when decisions come out!)

Hello ! I received my offer last night. It was my first choice uni and I'd really like to go, but not sure if it would be worth it without any funding (I'd be giving up a pretty high paying job). Do you have any idea when/how the funding decisions are made and the likelihood of getting any (I'm a home UK student).

Hello ! I received my offer last night. It was my first choice uni and I'd really like to go, but not sure if it would be worth it without any funding (I'd be giving up a pretty high paying job). Do you have any idea when/how the funding decisions are made and the likelihood of getting any (I'm a home UK student).

Firstly: congratulations on the offer, well done!

Secondly, funding decisions. I just checked and my funding was informally confirmed last year March 27th, which I think was about two weeks after I got my offer letter. Some types of funding take longer than mine, though - it's always worth having a chat with the grad administrator if there are any particular dates that you need to know by. At a rough estimate, maybe 30% of students in the MPhil have sth that would count as full-funding; I am pretty sure more have tuition fee wavers but I am not sure how many. Being European certainly helps because it means you are in the running for an ESRC scholarship, which is about 50% of the funding available and certainly the most generous funding around.

Good luck! :)

Firstly: congratulations on the offer, well done!

Secondly, funding decisions. I just checked and my funding was informally confirmed last year March 27th, which I think was about two weeks after I got my offer letter. Some types of funding take longer than mine, though - it's always worth having a chat with the grad administrator if there are any particular dates that you need to know by. At a rough estimate, maybe 30% of students in the MPhil have sth that would count as full-funding; I am pretty sure more have tuition fee wavers but I am not sure how many. Being European certainly helps because it means you are in the running for an ESRC scholarship, which is about 50% of the funding available and certainly the most generous funding around.

Good luck! :)

Thanks very much !

I emailed led the graduate administrator a while ago to ask if they needed a research proposal or anything from me to help with the ESRC selection process. She replied saying that they 'would be in touch to ask for a research proposal if they decide to put me forward for funding'. I haven't had anyone asking me for a research proposal yet. Did they ask you for one last year pre-funding decision ?

Thanks very much !

I emailed led the graduate administrator a while ago to ask if they needed a research proposal or anything from me to help with the ESRC selection process. She replied saying that they 'would be in touch to ask for a research proposal if they decide to put me forward for funding'. I haven't had anyone asking me for a research proposal yet. Did they ask you for one last year pre-funding decision ?

Oxford selects who to suggest to the ESRC for nomination before research proposals are made. They will then contact you and ask for research proposals (which are much less scary than you probably think: mine was only a few paragraphs). This happened about 3 working days before the unofficial confirmation e-mail for me.

Oxford selects who to suggest to the ESRC for nomination before research proposals are made. They will then contact you and ask for research proposals (which are much less scary than you probably think: mine was only a few paragraphs). This happened about 3 working days before the unofficial confirmation e-mail for me.

Thanks, you've saved me some sleepless nights.

So how are you finding the course so far ? Why did you pick Oxford and what do you plan to do next ?

It's been a week since they've started sending out decisions yet I haven't heard anything yet, and I don't suppose anyone else here has either. This is starting to get extremely frustrating. Anyone here has any conjectures with regard to the order in which they're sending out decisions?

It's been a week since they've started sending out decisions yet I haven't heard anything yet, and I don't suppose anyone else here has either. This is starting to get extremely frustrating. Anyone here has any conjectures with regard to the order in which they're sending out decisions?

Hey, as I mentioned previously on this thread I got my offer on March 13tg, which was the first day they started sending out offers. This makes me think they are doing it in order they received applications, as I put mine in super early. Hope this helps!