Urch Forums

How do you know when your application in ApplyYourself is being reviewed?

libre147

How do you know when your application is being reviewed by the admission committee or it is still sitting in the admission office? I think that the admission staffs do not often update your application status due to the tremendous amount of work they are handling. But I wonder if they kind of have a set date to clear your application for review, and then mark the status on your application so that you know that "judgments are being made" or likewise....

Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

I remember hearing a story long ago about a guy who had an IP tracker on his personal website. He listed the website on his CV. From this, he could track which departments were taking the time to check him out, and thus he could determine which universities were more interested in him.

Such a cool idea. But then he needed to filter from the IP log to decipher which school does the IP belong to. But I guess it would not be a problem for such a technical guy like him.

Judging by activity on here people are expecting decisions fairly soon, like in the next couple of days.

This isn't exactly true. Historically, any particular university (particular department) releases their results at approximately the same time each year. Some lower ranked schools like Clemson already sent out some acceptances, as was indicated by a post in the past several weeks in the 'sweat thread.' In terms of the top 70 schools, historically acceptances range from the 7th of Jan all the way into April. For example, Ohio state typically releases around the end of the first week, start of the second week of Jan - Vanderbilt soon after (i think, I didn't apply there). Most seem to release results between the last week of Feb and the third week of March. Some programs, such as LSU, have deadlines as late as Feb, so their results come later.

Check the past 'acceptance and rejections' threads and Grad Cafe for notification dates.

I remember hearing a story long ago about a guy who had an IP tracker on his personal website. He listed the website on his CV. From this, he could track which departments were taking the time to check him out, and thus he could determine which universities were more interested in him.

Statcounter does this very well. Plus you don't need to decipher IPs since they give you visitation by location. Plus, many schools have their own IPs, so it knows if someone from Cambridge is on the MIT network for example.

I'm using it -- nothing yet, but the ASSA just ended and thus I wouldn't expect any admission decisions (or even mulling) for at least another week while departments figure out who they want to flyout/hire.

• 1 month later...
Did any of you with websites actually see visits from adcomm members or did the adcomms just ignore the websites?

A user last year, whom is now at stanford i believe, tracked visitors to his website. Adcoms, actually, since only his web address was available in his application.

Thanks for sharing this. Have you noticed any correlation between website visits and admits?

I'm tracking my website. There has been traffic from schools, but not much. I'd guess it is idiosyncratic if a professor visits your website or not. They are quite busy and the materials in the applicant dossier are definitely enough to make an educated decision.

I guess the real question I have is NOT if you can track them ( I am sure you can using IP tools). My question is do adcomms visit applicant websites i.e. if an adcomm member sees your website on the application or CV will they visit the website or do they just ignore the website?

The implication in my prior post is that yes, the user that I mentioned DID actively track adcoms visiting his webpage.

I don't seem to recall that every university visited it, but I seem to recall perhaps 1/2 of them.

There was not a clear correlation, to my recollection, of visiting website to admissions.

Thanks

The implication in my prior post is that yes, the user that I mentioned DID actively track adcoms visiting his webpage.

I don't seem to recall that every university visited it, but I seem to recall perhaps 1/2 of them.

There was not a clear correlation, to my recollection, of visiting website to admissions.

So this might seem like bumping the thread... but I just wanted to let you know that one of the universities who I caught looking at my webpage multiple times has given me an offer. The second IP who I though was a university in reality was the Google Bot so... meh. The third one was Harvard, well... that tells me I was seen and did not made the cut. So the idea of tracking your own website is not that bad, if you can handle the stress associated with that information.