Urch Forums

PhD programs with late application deadlines

fakeo

So, panic mode started early for me this year, and I'm wondering what I'm going to do if I don't get any admissions, which is not unlikely. Therefore, I started thinking about a plan B. My question is: does anyone know of decent-ish (non-US) PhD programs whose deadline is after US admissions decisions are out (April or later)?

I know I have to do my own reserach and I will, but it could be sped up a little if someone has some info. Thanks!

So, panic mode started early for me this year, and I'm wondering what I'm going to do if I don't get any admissions, which is not unlikely. Therefore, I started thinking about a plan B. My question is: does anyone know of decent-ish (non-US) PhD programs whose deadline is after US admissions decisions are out (April or later)?

I know I have to do my own research and I will, but it could be sped up a little if someone has some info. Thanks!

No decent US schools have April or later admissions. I don't think any European schools do either (for financial consideration). I think some universities (US and abroad) have extended deadlines for no financial consideration.

Some programs in the US and Europe (Depends on your definition of decent) have Feb/March deadlines I believe, though.

UCL's deadline is 14 January.

Oxford's is 23 January or 13 March, sessions 1 and 2 respectively, for the MPhil and the DPhil.

Warwick is 28 February.

Cambridge is 31 January.

PSE's APE master is 6 March. and ETE is end of February.

Toulouse is mid-March.

Barcelona GSE (PhD) is 15 March for GPEFM and mid-June for IDEA.

Mannheim is 31 March.

Bonn is also 31 March

And Erasmus UR is 31 January for a number of research projects.

LSE is closed.

So, most US schools are closed yes, but it is highly inaccurate to say the same of European schools (bar the LSE). Although, admitedly might want to move fast for some of them (e.g. UCL).

I've only listed the top schools, other lower tier universities have Spring deadlines, e.g. Frankfurt, Nottingham, I'm sure a lot of Italian universities, I didn't check CEMFI or UC3M, pretty sure Munich is sometime in the Spring too.

Thanks a lot, this is really helpful!

I know US schools are closed, that's why I asked for non-US ones. The other thing I thought is that most Australian schools are open until April/May as well. I will wait for the time being, but depending on what answers I receive in Feb/early March (if any), I will consider those schools with March deadlines.

So, most US schools are closed yes, but it is highly inaccurate to say the same of European schools (bar the LSE). Although, admitedly might want to move fast for some of them (e.g. UCL).

Yes, sorry, I do accept blame for that. In the US I think that we have a more difficult time discussing rank of European universities. But still, only one of those are after April.

Thanks for the input - Great information as always, JR

Yes, sorry, I do accept blame for that. In the US I think that we have a more difficult time discussing rank of European universities. But still, only one of those are after April.

Thanks for the input - Great information as always, JR

I'm sorry too, re-reading my message it is a bit antagonising, could have phrased that better :) as you had April in mind then you are right, even in Europe it is tough to get admissions in April, some programmes do run rolling admissions till June (sometimes even August), but even then that's not the norm. I know Nottingham does that, I think maybe Frankfurt, Barcelona's IDEA PhD. Also perhaps Italian universities, but not 100% sure the programmes will be in English :/

Best thing for fakeo is to apply to some European departments before the end of February. I did that exact thing last year, when I got rejected from all my US applications (god that hurt) and I started applying to European programmes end of February early March. I did get a few acceptances, but to be fair not my top picks (for instance I sincerely regret missing UCL and Oxford's deadlines).

Dont make my mistake, apply away ;) although it's unlikely you ll get no US admit like I did :p

• 2 weeks later...
Some people were pretty fast with European schools.

I will just add Zurich then with the deadline in July:

UZH - Universit?t Z?rich - Application Periods

(bottom of the page)

Thanks very much. This seems like the best location if I have to stay in Europe. For some reason, I was under the impression that I already checked out U Zurich's website and that their deadline was in Jan. Don't know why. Maybe I was mixing it up with EUI for some weird reason. Thanks very much, I guess what I'm trying to say is that I would have definitely overlooked Zurich if you hadn't posted.

EDIT: I guess this is why I remember a Jan deadline. The econ dept seems to deviate from the norm.

UCL's deadline is 14 January.

Oxford's is 23 January or 13 March, sessions 1 and 2 respectively, for the MPhil and the DPhil.

Warwick is 28 February.

Cambridge is 31 January.

PSE's APE master is 6 March. and ETE is end of February.

Toulouse is mid-March.

Barcelona GSE (PhD) is 15 March for GPEFM and mid-June for IDEA.

Mannheim is 31 March.

Bonn is also 31 March

And Erasmus UR is 31 January for a number of research projects.

LSE is closed.

I've only listed the top schools, other lower tier universities have Spring deadlines, e.g. Frankfurt, Nottingham, I'm sure a lot of Italian universities, I didn't check CEMFI or UC3M, pretty sure Munich is sometime in the Spring too.

CEMFI is 15/2 and UC3M: 1st deadline: 30/01/2015

2nd deadline: 24/04/2015

3rd deadline: 20/06/2015