Urch Forums

Kindly Evaluate my Profile, Should I do a Statistics MA?

Camera

+Hi there. I'm currently in a top 4 Canadian MA program, but I'm looking to get into a top 20 school. The problem with my profile, is that I did very poorly in my first undergraduate degree, before taking another undergrad in Economics and getting very high grades. I am also missing some math courses, though I'm excelling in my current graduate courses.

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: Top 200 Econ undergrad, Top 4 Canadian MA Program

Undergrad GPA: 3.98

GRE: 167Q, 160V, 4W

Math Courses: Calc I/II(B+, A+), Linear Algebra(D), Applied Probability & Statistics I/II (A/A), Real Analysis (A+)

Econ Courses: Intro to Micro/Macro (B/B), Intermediate Micro/Macro (A+/A+), Intermediate Micro/Macro II (A+/A), Econometrics I/II (A+,A+), Mathematical Economics (A), CBA (A), Applied Labour (A+)

MA Econ Courses: Microeconomics (A+), Macroeconomics (A+), Econometrics (A+)

Letters of Recommendation: Decent

Research Experience: None

Teaching Experience: TA for Intro to Micro and Macro

Research Interests: Behaviour Economics, Labour

SOP: Solid

Concerns: Missing tons of math courses due to screwing up in undergraduate. Looking to spend a year doing a Statistics degree to signal higher quantitative ability prior to applying to top 20 schools.

What are my chances of getting into a top 20 school if I do a Statistics MA? I also have the option of doing a PhD in my current program, which is decent.

I think you will be able to effectively disregard your initial undergrad GPA if you got a second bachelor's with a 3.98. It might even help because you have exposure to another discipline even if you didn't excel at it. Your problem is you have a weaker math background than more competitive applicants for top 20 programs. I don't think its a huge deal if you don't have calc 3 if you have real analysis, but I would try to take it over a summer session or something because I like to check all my boxes. Another weakness in your profile is lack of research experience. Perhaps you would be better served by a paid research assistantship instead of paying for a second masters. While you work there you could also take a math class or two to strengthen your profile.

The real question is why keep racking up degrees that push you further from the goal of writing that first published article and dissertation and becoming a researcher. I think you are ready now, all of this other stuff is just credential gathering. I think you can get into a top 50 program as you stand, and the rank of the program doesn't determine your success, you do.

The only thing I could suggest besides "Go ahead and apply," (which is never a bad idea, since you never know what could happen), is to follow a similar path to the one I followed. You could get an RA gig somewhere (at a university), pick up some research experience, and probably take courses in math in the meantime.

In fact, I chose that route over an MA in statistics, but it was a very tough choice. That's just my opinion, and really, the only one I'm qualified to discuss!