Urch Forums

Dropping the Name of a Professor... You Haven't Met?

dog

Hi there,

Graduating senior, currently applying to RA positions at think tanks/research orgs/the Fed. I technically worked as an undergraduate RA for a very big name economist last semester. However, in reality, I was working for/interacting only with his RA on what was actually one of the grad student's papers. I never truthfully met the professor and I don't know to what extent he played a role in the grad student's paper. Is it still acceptable for me to claim in my resume and cover letter to have "contributed to the research" of the economist? Isn't it usually understood that an undergrad RA wouldn't have made significant intellectual contributions to a top economist's work anyway?

Would it be possible to email the professor, tell him that you've enjoyed working with his RA, and that now that you're applying for full-time RA jobs you'd like to meet with him to discuss your plans and hear his thoughts/advice? Usually professors are happy to hear that students are interested in research and would be willing to meet with you. I think it is fine to just email the professor yourself, but if you have concerns about contacting him such as he seems especially inaccessible, maybe ask his RA for advice on how to meet with him.

Would it be possible to email the professor, tell him that you've enjoyed working with his RA, and that now that you're applying for full-time RA jobs you'd like to meet with him to discuss your plans and hear his thoughts/advice? Usually professors are happy to hear that students are interested in research and would be willing to meet with you. I think it is fine to just email the professor yourself, but if you have concerns about contacting him such as he seems especially inaccessible, maybe ask his RA for advice on how to meet with him.

I think it is reasonable to say you served as part of a research team led by professor X, supporting a project directed by his research assistant, Y. If they ask more questions you can clarify and if you don't inflate or obfuscate it will work in your favor.

I think it is reasonable to say you served as part of a research team led by professor X, supporting a project directed by his research assistant, Y. If they ask more questions you can clarify and if you don't inflate or obfuscate it will work in your favor.

I think this is missing the point that OP is making, which is that they would like there to be some strong connection between them and the notable professor. Saying that you worked on a 'team' for prof X under a grad student is...under-whelming. There's no LoR from this professor, which is a primary benefit of being an RA. I would expect the committee to think "Glad they got RA experience, but I have no way of evaluating this in terms of his ability to succeed in a Ph.D."

I think this is missing the point that OP is making, which is that they would like there to be some strong connection between them and the notable professor. Saying that you worked on a 'team' for prof X under a grad student is...under-whelming. There's no LoR from this professor, which is a primary benefit of being an RA. I would expect the committee to think "Glad they got RA experience, but I have no way of evaluating this in terms of his ability to succeed in a Ph.D."

Well, you can't turn a sow's ear into a silk purse. I think my statement is the only description of the experience that is reasonably defensible.

This is what I really should do. So intimidating though!

That's honest and reasonable wording! Thanks all

This is what I really should do. So intimidating though!

That's honest and reasonable wording! Thanks all

Professors are usually happy to hear that a good student is considering grad school, especially if you have done RA work that had some connection to the professor. Occasionally there is a professor who is not accessible to students, but in that case do not take it personally (although I think that it is unlikely he would not agree to meet with you given that you are working with his RA). It is important to be assertive about talking to faculty in grad school, so perhaps now is a good time to start practicing? It is normal to find it intimidating, but you should force yourself to email the professor anyway even if you feel a bit intimidated.

Edited by PhDPlease