Urch Forums

Profile Evaluation (top 30)

TomTack

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: Top 50 in the US for undergrad, unranked for Eco grad

Undergrad GPA: 3.86/(major gpa: 3.86)

GRE: 163V+167Q+3.5W

Math Courses: Calculus 1,2,3(A) Probability intro(A) Abstract Algebra (A) Ordinary Differential Equations (A) Real analysis (B) intro to linear algebra honors (A), abstract math (A),

Econ Courses (undergrad-level): All A’s, in Industrial organization, Mathematical Economics, Graduate micro, Game Theory, and the normal intro and micro classes

Letters of Recommendation:

1.Professor that I assisted in reseacrh – has tenure and went to top 5 program

2.Head of department, well known

3. new to department but graduated from top 15

I think all of them will give me a strong recommendation

Research Experience: For a year helped a professor in his research but no original work

Teaching Experience: TA for an economics course

Research Interests: Micro Theory

SOP: Good but nothing out of this world, why economics interests me and emphasized my strengths

Concerns: The B in real analysis and lack of research, I think there is nothing very bad about my application but lacks something extraordinary. I’m aming at somewhere in the top 30, is that too high? Or too low?

You seem to be lacking an upper level stats course (unless you forgot to mention it)-This is separate from a probability course, even if at the senior UG/Grad level.

What does "assisted in his research" mean. One of the variables in applications (when individuals have research experience) is the nature of the research. OK, it wasn't your original research, but what did you do, what have you done, what is your professor going to say about you, what you have done, and what you will be like in graduate school?

Did you do any graduate work, or just the grad micro course? Looks like it was not at the same institution as your undergrad? (Why?)

There is nothing exceptional about your profile. My gut is telling me that unless your letter writers are pulling strings, you should be aiming 30-50, with perhaps a few in the 20s (like maybe Ohio State).

Sorry my evaluation wasn't very clear.

I plan on taking a graduate level stats course next semester. And as far as research i collected data, analyzed it and wrote all the code needed for the paper. I have not done any graduate work (im still a junior), i have only taken some math and economics graduate level classes at my undergraduate university. (I forgot to mention that i also took graduate level macro, econometrics and environmental economics).

Is there anything i could do to boost my application or is it too late? (I plan to apply for fall 2016)

Thank you

In my own opinion, if you have already taken grad micro, macro, and econometrics by this point of your undergrad career, you have a good chance for top 20, let alone top 30, econ programs, if you push yourself harder before your application cycle. (if you push really hard, you might even have chance for top 10, but some one in this forum might disagree with me.)

B in RA is slightly problematic, especially as you are thinking about micro as your focus. You can take some even more difficult math course, say Measure Theory or Topology, to prove that the B was not the best you can do. But of course, this is if you are confident that you can pull an A in those math courses. Another thing that is missing is independent research. You should probably kick start a thesis sooner than later, and make sure you, and your thesis advisor, have something to talk about (ideally, a "good" writing sample) by late November. In terms of research assistant work, I personally think that, although it is important, most of its value lies in how enthusiastic your boss is about your research potential in her/his recommendation letter. This is correlated but not entirely determined by how significant your work is. Other explanatory variables on the right hand side may be your effort, your creativity, or how much you are willing to go beyond your assigned task. Good luck, and hope this helps.

You seem to be lacking an upper level stats course (unless you forgot to mention it)-This is separate from a probability course, even if at the senior UG/Grad level.

What does "assisted in his research" mean. One of the variables in applications (when individuals have research experience) is the nature of the research. OK, it wasn't your original research, but what did you do, what have you done, what is your professor going to say about you, what you have done, and what you will be like in graduate school?

Did you do any graduate work, or just the grad micro course? Looks like it was not at the same institution as your undergrad? (Why?)

There is nothing exceptional about your profile. My gut is telling me that unless your letter writers are pulling strings, you should be aiming 30-50, with perhaps a few in the 20s (like maybe Ohio State).

I'm more optimistic about your chance in the 20s than the above poster. You have a lot of math and nearly all a's, did work as a research assistant, Took grad micro, and went to a decent UG school. Good luck

If you were to apply right now without doing anything else, I would recommend applying to schools mostly in the 20-50 range. I could see you getting into the top-30, but it is far from guaranteed.

The one thing that stands out to me is the combination of your research interest (micro theory) and your math background. Micro theory requires a really solid understanding of real analysis, and that is why your grade in it is making me particularly concerned. Is there a reason that you did worse in RA than in your other courses? Was there some exceptional circumstance that semester, did you not study hard enough, was it from a professor with an unusually strict grading scale, or did you genuinely struggle with the material? If it was the latter, that would be a major concern for an aspiring theorist but not such a concern for those with other interests. I also wonder if an admissions committee would feel the same way and think that you clearly have no idea of what you are getting into.

It is really great that you have taken and done well in grad courses. What level were the courses taught at? What textbooks were used, and was micro theory proof-based?

However, there are certainly things that you can do to get into a better program. The main thing that I would recommend in your case is to take more math. Generally I don't recommend that people take that much math beyond RA, but your case is an exception. If you can take a second semester of real analysis this spring, and are convinced that you can do well in it, then doing so can counteract your prior B. Also, given your interests in micro theory, see if you can take measure theory (this is likely in the grad analysis sequence) and maybe some other upper-level math. I have been told that graph theory is becoming much more commonly used in economics, so if you are looking for upper-level math electives that may be a useful one.

If you do that, I would guess that you would have a good shot at the top-20.

Thank you all for the advice, i really appreciate it ! Just one more question, I wasn't able to take a second analysis class this spring, but i do plan to take some high math classes on the fall. Apart from probability theory,I have a choice between topography, linear algebra, and set theory. Is there one of those that is seen as better? Im confident that ill do well in any of the 3. Also do they take fall grades into consideration? i would like for them to, but wouldn't it be too late?

Of those, linear algebra is probably the most useful, but usefulness is not the only consideration

There are two different considerations here: usefulness and signalling. Linear algebra is very useful, but not such a strong signal. Real analysis is both very useful and a strong signal. The set theory that you need for grad school or research should have been adequately covered in real analysis.

Do you mean topology instead of topography? Topography is this: Topography - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, and seems like a strange subject to be taught in a math department. Topology would be useful as a signal (to help make up for your performance in RA), but likely less useful in practice than a second RA course, which unfortunately you can't take.

Can you take both topology and linear algebra? If you can only take one, in your case I would recommend topology.

Thank you all for the advice, i really appreciate it ! Just one more question, I wasn't able to take a second analysis class this spring, but i do plan to take some high math classes on the fall. Apart from probability theory,I have a choice between topography, linear algebra, and set theory. Is there one of those that is seen as better? Im confident that ill do well in any of the 3. Also do they take fall grades into consideration? i would like for them to, but wouldn't it be too late?

I think you mean "topology". Topography will not help you in econ grad school

I will go with topology if those are the only choices. Topology is definitely useful for micro theory (in general equilibrium, and game theory, for example). It would also be a strong signal if you can do well in that course. Although not all schools require fall semester grades, if you send your fall semester grades to schools, they would most likely take it into account.