Urch Forums

International Studies Major with no Math Background - Advice?

hoosier91

Type of Undergrad: Small, private liberal arts school with good eputation. Small econ department (only two full-time profs). International Studies major, minor in Economics.

Undergrad GPA: 3.98

GRE: 98th percentile Analytical Writing, 80th percentile Verbal, 40th percentile Quant (planning to re-take - had an off test day)

Math Courses: Applied Statistics, A

Econ Courses (undergrad-level): Macro, Micro, Economics of Micro-Finance, International Economics, Developmental Economics (A in each). No grad-level courses offered/

Letters of Recommendation: one good from research supervisor/statistics professor, one very good from econ professor, one good professional reference

Research Experience: Senior paper on the economics of corruption in the developing world, presented original research on economic development in the Middle East in an undergraduate competition and placed third, conducted research over the summer for a nonprofit in their field office, worked for one semester as an RA, conducted original, graduate-style public policy research on international trade

Teaching Experience: tutored economics and statistics, mentor for Research in Psychology class

Research Interests: Developmental Economics, International Trade, Public/Welfare Economics

SOP: interested in the relationship between economics and poverty

Concerns: I don't even come close to meeting the math requirements. Happy to do some prep on my own (Calc I and Linear Algebra before applying at the very least) before applying, but even if I do, could I get into a worthwhile program? Am I even a viable candidate?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Get a Master's in econ first... you don't have intermediate micro, you don't have any math. No program will take you. But first, try to take some basic math, like a calc sequence, maybe intermediate micro at a local college. See if you can do very well in those courses. Econ grad program is a whole different story.