Urch Forums

Please help me improve my personal statement.

rose243

I belong to a middle income family from a small village of Pakistan. My father is a government servant and my mother is house wife. I was brought up in a world with limited opportunities for personal and professional growth. I however, took it as a challenge and consistently pursued my academic goals and become the first person in my family to acquire a university degree. I intend to obtain a PhD degree in economics with specialization in experimental economics. Experimental economics is a branch of economics that focuses on individual behavior in a controlled laboratory setting or out in the field. Experimental economics helps to prove or disprove economic theories and create predictions and insights about real-world behavior. As Experimental economics is an emerging branch of economics, this will enhance the capacity and understanding of the experimental issues in a more comprehensive manner and increase my exposure of the vast and vital field of Experimental Economics. I believe it will certainly help me with my research and career objectives. My interest in the field of economics was developed during my B.Sc degree program. After completing my college education, I got admission in B.Sc (Hons) Economics at IIIE, IIUI. IIIE is one of the best academic economics institute in Pakistan. In IIIE , Mr. Naumane Ejaz taught me Principle of Economics, was the first person who enhanced my interest in economics subject. He relate the economic theories with our daily life problems faced by society. I was fascinated towards economics by realizing that economic variables are not only effect the economic well being but these also have effect on the social and psychological well-being people. This thing enhanced my interest in research. So, after completing my M.Sc degree from IIIE. I decided to take admission in M.Phil Economics in an institution where research and teaching are done simultaneously. Due to this I decided to take admission at PIDE. PIDE is one of the best academic and research in institute in Pakistan. PIDE is the oldest in primer policy think tank of Pakistan. It has led the field in developing quality research in social science and in forming public policy. PIDE also got the status of degree awarding institution. Therefore, PIDE is only institute in Pakistan where research and teaching are done side by side. For admission in M.Phil Economics at PIDE, although the criterion was very much competitive, but I was successful in acquiring admission in MPhil degree program at PIDE. At PIDE, I took course in Microeconomics, Macroeconomics and Econometrics from Pakistan famous economists along with other optional courses.

Although Pakistan has taken large amounts of external debt but its inhabitants are not having well standard of livings. So, that why I choose to work on the topic external debt . I did my M.Phil thesis on “Models of external of external debt” with Dr. Eatzaz Ahmad. One of my papers is published in Economic Modeling on the topic of external debt and role of macroeconomic policies. It's the lack of sound economic policies in Pakistan has been a source of poor economic performance despite continuous resort to external borrowing.

During my M.Phil degree program, I got the opportunity to serve PIDE as a Lecturer Economics. My teaching experience has provided me with an opportunity to transfer knowledge to the next generation. At PIDE, I taught courses of Mathematics for Economists, Statistics for Economists, Applied Econometrics. In advanced microeconomics course Dr. Dr Musleh-ud-Din gave the introduction to the game theory. Later on, department of economics, assigned me the task to design the course of game theory at graduate level. Game theory course help us in decision making process To design this course, I took help from online course of game theory from coursea and watched the videos lecture on experimental economic given by Dr. Asad. This motivated me to work on the area of experimental economics. This has led to the need of learning advanced theoretical and applied concepts of economics by obtaining a PhD degree, My long term career objective is to work as an economic analyst and a researcher in an academic environment.1Academic environment would provide me with ample opportunities to employ different economic tools learned during my PhD degree program. This will help me to bring out key economic facts related to public policy and suggest suitable economic policies. My personal goals include encouraging young generation specifically marginalized youth to obtain higher education. I intend to support at least five students with limited resources to achieve a university degree.

[h=2]Please help me improve my personal statement.[/h]

No. This isn't the place for that. If you wanted to know, "Should I include XYZ in my SoP," that would be an appropriate question. Asking the forum to read,evaluate, and improveit, however, is not.

Look through the "helpful posts" in the stickied thread and you'll find posts about SoPs that might be helpful for you.

P.S. It looks like you don't have good paragraph distinction, and your grammar needs touching up.