Urch Forums

Lower ranked funded vs higher rank (funded from 2nd year)

Lacxa

Hi everybody,

I want to share my situation with you and to ask for some advices/opinions.

I received a fully funded offer from a low ranked uni and a waitlist from a highly ranked uni.

apparently the higher ranked doesn't have much funding opportunities for 1st year.

now I have been waitlisted for a scholarship as 1st on the waitlist, and so far I am not sure about whether I will be granted such an award. (1 year scholarship non renewable)

Do you believe, as I do, that if I am granted such scholarship, the probability to be admitted to the higher ranked program will sharply increase?

The lower ranked program has a deadline for acceptance, but I am afraid that I will not know about the scholarship by that time. Should I take the funded offer? Is there a penalty to pay if, I accept the offer and then, if I get the offer from the higher ranked program, I withdraw?

Thanks a lot to everybody

hope you can all help me :)

May I ask what holds you back from putting the department names in here? People in those programs might be your best choice as the answer to your question is probably very specific. Alterantively, you could PM someone one one of those programs.

Brown is a great department which has just added some terrific faculty. In some fields, it is clearly a better option than Penn.

I wouldn't anticipate that a one-year scholarship would substantially alter Penn's willingness to admit you off the waitlist, given they are willing to make unfunded offers.

If you really think you would prefer Penn over Brown, then just wait as long as possible before accepting the offer from Brown.

Another thing to consider -- and this is all just heresay -- is the amount of attrition at the programs. I've heard UPenn purposefully weeds people out during the first year. I'm not saying this is a bad thing -- but other programs admit people expecting everyone to proceed to the second year (with some error of course).

I think you should visit both departments -- they are both very good, but this is likely to come down to fit and program style. I, for one, would not do well in a hyper-competitive first year situation -- it just isn't something I would enjoy.

The reason why a department wouldn't give you money in year 1 is likely because they see a good chance of you not making it to year 2. Question is, do you want to take the risk?

Brown and UPenn aren't that far apart. I concur with others, depends what field you are interested in.

I believe that I have previously read that Brown's cohorts tend to be smaller than most other cohorts. Does anyone know if this is true?

If so, that will be good for interaction between students and Profs.

The target cohort size at Brown is 12 according to their website. So yeah, it's certainly a smaller program.

• 1 month later...

I actually was informed that I won this scholarship (it covers tuition and insurance only).

I was also told from UPenn that I am midway in the waitlist.

Do you all suggest me to inform them about the award? (There is a shortside of the award: after completion of degree I will be forbidden, for 2 years, to take job positions in the Us, not even research or postdoctoral are allowed)

(I have broad interests)

I actually was informed that I won this scholarship (it covers tuition and insurance only).

I was also told from UPenn that I am midway in the waitlist.

Do you all suggest me to inform them about the award? (There is a shortside of the award: after completion of degree I will be forbidden, for 2 years, to take job positions in the Us, not even research or postdoctoral are allowed)

(I have broad interests)

Your offer most likely states that you have to accept and notify them of any scholarship you receive. Whether you do it or violate the terms of your offer, you have to decide yourself.

For the Fulbright Program, I believe, it is not unheard of for the requirement to be waived afterwards. But I would not count on that happening. (at least not without additional verification of my claim)