Urch Forums

Anyone been to a flyout while waitlisted? Is it awkward?

econandonandon

I've been wait-listed by two places and both have invited me to their flyouts (and have offered some reimbursement). I'm torn over attending because I fear the experience may be a bit uncomfortable as I haven't actually been accepted but by the sounds of it will be treated as if I have been. On the other hand I worry that for wait-listed candidates it may be almost like an interview and if I don't attend the this will decrease my chances of getting offers. It may be worth adding that I'm international so travel will be a big deal and that the two schools are highly ranked (and better than any other options I may have).

Has anyone else here been in this situation? Did you go and was it worth it? Was it weird?

Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I visited one school where I was waitlisted for funding. The offer I'd received would have required paying tuition ($40k?) every year, which would have been impossible, so not really that much better than an outright waitlist. I felt that it was a bit stressful as I felt like I was being evaluated. I also felt like I didn't get as much out of the visit (in terms of me evaluating the school so that I could know what my decision would be if I ultimately received funding), as I didn't feel as comfortable to ask some questions that I had. That being said, I think it is still worth it to force yourself to go and do your best to show interest and make a good impression even if you feel uncomfortable. Visiting while on the waitlist shows interest and can sometimes help your chances. If you can go you definitely should.

I've been on a flyout where it was actually the second stage of an admissions process, with the entire flyout schedule and all the students being part of that process, and nonetheless it didn't feel that awkward. If it's your first flyout, it'll be the first time you and everybody else get to spend time exclusively with other students of the same background and interests, which is really exhilarating, and I don't think people really care whether you're on the waitlist or admit list at that point.

I would go simply because it could increase your chances and you'll regret it otherwise.

I've been on a flyout where it was actually the second stage of an admissions process, with the entire flyout schedule and all the students being part of that process, and nonetheless it didn't feel that awkward. If it's your first flyout, it'll be the first time you and everybody else get to spend time exclusively with other students of the same background and interests, which is really exhilarating, and I don't think people really care whether you're on the waitlist or admit list at that point.

I would go simply because it could increase your chances and you'll regret it otherwise.

I interned (Research Assistant) at a fairly prestigious institution (although more for policy than economics). My colleagues were fellow undergraduates (or individuals that just graduated), but they were primarily from premier undergrad institutions. (I remember someone from Harvard, Georgetown, Yale, CMU, Tufts, Bard, Columbia.) I was the lone soldier from a completely unknown university in the midwest. No one knew my university. I felt awkward. I don't think that anyone else felt awkward having me around. Only 1 student seemed to particularly scoff at me, but this student (the one from Harvard) very clearly came from the elite (One of their family's houses was in this city, and in one of the most expensive neighborhoods). Literally, she didn't act like I deserved to be in her company.

She was the only one-everyone else was very nice. They frequently invited me to lunch, or outings, but I had great difficulty overcoming what I felt to be shortcomings (compared to them).

My point is that the situation wasn't awkward, but I allowed myself to feel that way. All that matters is that you get accepted, no matter if it is straight out or from the waitlist. Be confident in yourself and enjoy the experience.

We routinely have waitlisted students attend the flyout. No one makes them wear a nametag that says "WAITLIST," so the only way I know is if they mention it. Waitlists are fluid things, and people do get offers. All else equal, having the admissions director know your face is better than not. I'd rule out awkwardness as a reason for not going.

While it's kind of quirky, thinking about your variables might help take the angst out of the decision. So when you're trying to solve E(MB) vs. E(MC), going to the flyout increases the probability mass on the LHS. You should be able to take a guess at your MC of actually attending the waitlist program (and the probability of funding) as well as the probability of getting an admit given that you go to the flyout. Then you could back out the MB you'd need to get from the waitlist program to see if it's worth it.

tl;dr: Given comparable funding situations, even small changes in your admit probability change the LHS magnitude a bunch in the presence of major differences in training/placement (large MB).