Urch Forums

Tinbergen vs UCLA, Michigan

joaoneto

I would like to get your views about Tinbergen.

I was accepted by UCLA (fellowship) and Michigan (TAship).

Do you think Tinbergen is as competitive as these schools?

I do not know how should I interpret the fact that Tinbergen placed many students on postdoctoral positions (Pompeu, Oxford, LSE).

Maybe they spend less time to conclude the PhD and need more time to be equivalent to a typical American PhD. Anyway, I do not know how Tinbergen students place after their postdoctoral positions.

Because Tinbergen is not ranked and because I am not able to perfectly interpret their placement, I would like to get your views about Tinbergen.

I am also interested in understanding the quality of Tinbergen.

How are the placements of Tinbergen students after their post-doc?

I was admitted for some top 20 programs and I strongly considered Tinbergen, but I declined it because I did not know how to compare the program with the American ones.

Anyway, some of its students made great comments about the place and the work environment (in fact, Judith and Massimo looked to be very friendly; if the faculty looks like them, so I believe the work environment must be pretty good).

I'd go with UCLA for some tracks and Michigan for others. Michigan or UCLA are better programs than Tinbergen for sure.

Then again, Amsterdam is a much nicer place to be than LA or Ann Arbor. And the money is good too.

I think for things like Financial Economics and perhaps Development Tinbergen dominates UCLA and Michigan, but generally I agree that UCLA and Michigan are stronger.

Then again, Amsterdam is a much nicer place to be than LA or Ann Arbor. And the money is good too.

I think for things like Financial Economics and perhaps Development Tinbergen dominates UCLA and Michigan, but generally I agree that UCLA and Michigan are stronger.

LA might be better than Amsterdam in some places, but I've heard that the two main universities there for Econ PHDs aren't located in the greatest of neigborhoods.

LA might be better than Amsterdam in some places, but I've heard that the two main universities there for Econ PHDs aren't located in the greatest of neigborhoods.

If people took this into consideration I doubt there would be much heterogeneity in terms students admitted to the same departments. There are a LOT of programs that exist in or on the periphery of absolutely terrible neighborhoods. In fact, I think half or more of the programs I applied for fell into this category.

I'm not trying to be rude, but deciding where to go based on this is relatively (or extremely) silly.

If people took this into consideration I doubt there would be much heterogeneity in terms students admitted to the same departments. There are a LOT of programs that exist in or on the periphery of absolutely terrible neighborhoods. In fact, I think half or more of the programs I applied for fell into this category.

I'm not trying to be rude, but deciding where to go based on this is relatively (or extremely) silly.

Also, what's a nice place to live is extremely subjective. So it really depends on OP's preferences whether Amsterdam > LA and Ann Arbor.