Urch Forums

I've been accepted to MSc Economics in Europe. Now, where to go?

Assan Achibat

Hi everyone! I often read this forum and this time I'm in need of help!

Considering that I would like to work in consultancy after graduation or alternatively applying for a Phd, what program is my best fit between Msc Economics at Nottingham, York, Exeter, Bath.. MSc Econometrics and Mathematical Economics at U. of Amsterdam and QEM Erasmus Mundus?

So far the only 2 year program I've been accepted to is QEM Erasmus Mundus.

Academically speaking I'm oriented on theoretical economics specifically decision theory but I'm open to other contaminations.

Financially speaking, in terms of tuition fees, I reckon that Amsterdam one year program with 2000€ of fee would be, together with QEM (that is offering me some financial aid, though not full scholarships) the most affordable option. Still I can't say if my decision is based on the financial factor. Money is at the moment an issue but in the next few months I could afford without harm even more costly programs.

Said that, I'm waiting for LSE and Warwick Msc Economics as well as Oxford Mphil results. But I'm not confident I'll make it into these schools.

Where should I go for? Is it better for me one year in the Uk or is it better Amsterdam or maybe try the QEM program?

Thank you folks for the help! I Desperately need some suggestions!

I would say don't bother with UK universities, not worth the money given you can choose Amsterdam or QEM. Amsterdam is very strong in placing students into financial and consultancy firms, it has a good reputation in Europe too. Re QEM, Sorbonne and UAB also have very tron reputation and are likely to be known outside of academia.
  • Like 1

Purely in terms of academics, and given that you say you have an affinity for decision theory I'd say Notts, Exeter and Amsterdam are your best choices, with Notts > Exeter, and Amsterdam being a solid option on its own evidently.

Normally I'd be rooting for Notts, but given that you do have an admit from Amsterdam (for 2k) and that money is a bit of an issue for you, I'd have to agree with pch above and probably say Amsterdam. It is an excellent university, well recognised worldwide and going through a rigorous Econometrics and Mathematical Economics course would be excellent theoretical preparation. Though be aware that some consultancies might prefer applied coursework, that'll depend on where you plan to apply.

What I can say for Notts is that lots of people from my cohort (and also from previous years) placed well into consultancies: Oxford Economics, NERA, London Economics, Frontier Economics, Deloitte Economic Consulting, etc. Exeter is good uni for decision theory, but York would be better overall, it has a very good programme, and quite a good reputation in the UK.

Now for PhDs I'd say that Amsterdam, Notts and York are your best bets for a good placement. Bath is a good uni for undergrad, for MSc I wouldnt bet my future on it, personally. So, the only overlap would be Notts and Amsterdam, and given my earlier points, I'd probably say that Amsterdam would be the best option for you.

I can'r say anything on Erasmus Mundus cause I never met or heard of anybody from that programme, sorry.

Good luck for LSE, Warcks and Oxford, hopefully you'll land one of them (but be careful with the crazily high tuition fees!).

• Like 1

• I tend to agree with you guys..

Still, I'm utterly confused...

I don't think I'll be accepted at such competitive programs as Ox and LSE (but I'd wish I was wrong!!
    http://static1.tsrfiles.co.uk/12.7.2/images/smilies/biggrin.png
    ) so I'm basically split between Nott, Amsterdam and QEM. Really can't come up with a decision process.

I am half italian and half moroccan, and culturally speaking, I'd really like to experience the english-speaking world, I'd been dreaming about delving into an english way of life since my undergrads started!! (also, a few years ago I applied for undergrad studies in the uk but got rejected from all 5 unis!!) and I reckon that working in London after graduation would be a dream come true (in case I decide not to pursue a Phd). Also my cousin is studying computing at Imperial and he's so happy with his path, I'd like to reach him.

But having half moroccan origins, and speaking french almost fluently I reckon that also QEM, that is based mainly in Paris, could be a good step.

Do you think that for working in London having an english degree (say, at Nott) is seen better by the employees? Or there's a good chance of being employed by London companies even graduating from Amsterdam or Paris? In my opinion, I'm trying as much as possible to have an international profile, I don't see much harm in having a master from a french/dutch institution as long as it is internationally known!

Any opinion?

I would think that the larger firms/consultancies in London would be smart enough to value good degrees regardless of where they come from, especially given the quality of the programmes you ve been accepted to: Amsterdam, QEM (for the non-UK ones). It s not like you got accepted to the University of God-Knows-Where in Nobody-Cares-Land. Amsterdam is an excellent university in economics, and pretty much the whol econ world knows this, QEM might be less famous, but I'd wager that given you ll be able to write down Université Paris I - Panthéon Sorbonne, people will know exactly where you come from, and this will also be a big plus.

All in all, I doubt in terms of employability that there ll be any drawback really. Now inevitably, UK employers will be more familiar with UK universities, so York and Notts will resonate closer to what they know. The only thing really is that setting up bank accounts, getting familiar with the UK system, etc. will all be easier through the university (since they help out quite a bit in that respect) and the transition to working then would be seamless, you'd virtually only have to move to London afterwards, thats it. Coming from elsewhere you d have to deal with everything (bank accounts, nhs, familiarising yourself with the property market) all at the same time as working which could be a little more stessful. Of course I only mean that at the margin, in absolute terms, these aren't exactly major issues, just small annoyances besides your 9-5 job.

As far as experiencing the UK is concerned, Notts isnt really the most typical city. It s more british than Oxford or Cambridge, or London obviously, but the most english city would be York, plus it s in the north, which is a little more.... 'untamed' than the rest of the UK :D it s also a beautiful city and and a very good university, well respected in the UK. Notts is quite cheap that I remember, dont know about York.

All in all, you don't really have that much of a problem: York is the more british city in your choice set, Notts might be the better choice for the UK overall given your admits, Asmterdam is excellent, rigorous and cheap, QEM does benefit from having "Paris I Pantheon Sorbonne" in the name and is a good uni regardless. I think you can safely go with whatever feels more natural, or more comfortable. Besides if you really want to live in the UK afterwards, delaying it by 1 year (by doing an MSc at Amsterdam or Paris) wouldn't matter much in the long term.