Urch Forums

Iowa State Vs Houston Vs Missouri

hopethebest

If anyone familiar with one of the above programs, please shed some light into the following matters. Your help is always appreciated as this is the forum I got most of the knowledge regarding application process, otherwise I would not have access to :)

1. Attrition rate, importantly do the departments weed off people through comps

2. Possibility of funding from 2nd year and afterwards

3. What happens to funding, I am not passed the comps first time

4. Faculty interactions and helpfulness

5. Any other thing that is important to know.

Thank you in advance

I can't say much about Iowa State or Houston, but I go to Missouri for undergrad and am pretty familiar with the faculty. There's a lot of the professors have been great to work with as an undergrad, so I figure that they'll be pretty open to working with grad students as well. What fields are you interested in?

Unfortunately, the professors that I was closest to dealt mostly with the micro fields because that's what I'm most interested in. I know though that Neil Raymon teaches a yearly class on money and banking. He's the main teaching macro/financial guy in the department. He's insanely boring, but pretty dang smart. I never had a class with Joseph Haslag, but I've heard he's really good for research in monetary policy and macro. I had Vitor Trindade for econometrics, but I think that one of his fields is also in international trade. He's really awesome and is also fairly helpful with most things. FWIW, I also had these guys as an undergraduate, so they may interact very differently with graduate students.

I'm sure that doesn't necessarily help you choose between Missouri, Iowa State, or Houston, but I hope I was helpful in some way. Good Luck!