Urch Forums

UofT vs Queens vs UBC (private sector considerations)

ottawasens92

Hi guys,

I have received acceptances for my MA degree to UofT, Queens, and UBC. I am interested in potentially working in the private sector after I complete my masters. I've heard that location can play a big role, which would mean UofT>Queens>UBC. However, I'm sure the role location plays is limited. I was wondering what advice you could give for someone interested in private sector work, which school would be preferable? any recommended courses? would references made via research (Queens) be useful? or is it better to get out into the workforce as fast as possible (UofT)?

I would rule UBC out. Queen's places their students well into the job market, but often into public or quasi-public positions in Ottawa (but Queen's is good for private sector positions too). If you want to get out into the private sector and make lots of money, I'd suggest you go to U of T and get a job in Toronto. This is all assuming funding isn't a factor.

Funding isn't a factor. Quality of life may be, UofT's appears to have a "colder" department, course load is heavier, leaving less time to network etc. Queens appears to have a much warmer faculty and better networking within MA students (since they are held captive in Kingston).

Between the two my decision seems to be a factor of quality of life, private sector perception of the degrees, and networking ability. Would I have an advantage having UofT on my resume vs Queens? Are their sufficient networking opportunities in Kingston?

I would rule UBC out. Queen's places their students well into the job market, but often into public or quasi-public positions in Ottawa (but Queen's is good for private sector positions too). If you want to get out into the private sector and make lots of money, I'd suggest you go to U of T and get a job in Toronto. This is all assuming funding isn't a factor.

Would you rule UBC out because their academic placements are so good, and that path seems to be dominant over there?

U of T does have the less welcoming department. If you're doing the regular stream, there shouldn't be much of a difference in the course load between the two schools. I'm heading to Queen's in the fall, but that's because I'm planning on a PhD. If I were going straight into the private sector, I would have chosen Toronto. I don't know a lot about networking between the two schools. My feeling is that you'd get to know the faculty better at Queen's, but that Toronto has more "big names" with more Toronto connections. U of T is always hiring new talent into their faculty. Either way, I'm sure you'll do fine.

I would rule UBC out because it has no clear advantages if you're heading to the private sector, unless you want to live and work in Vancouver.

I'm considering the same three schools (as well as oxford), though for opposite reasons!---i'm more interested in public sector or academia. The downside to Queen's seems to be that the faculty is very small compared to Toronto or UBC. I'm struggling with which one to accept---Queen's has the best program structure in my view (balance of courses over three terms and a summer research option vs coursework only for toronto or two intense semesters of coursework at UBC then a research seminar), but it doesn't seem to offer what i'd like in the elective courses and there don't seem to be too many research-based profs. Have you decided yet where you're going?

If you're interested in public sector or academia I'd say Queens is your best bet out of the Canadian schools. If you choose to have a terminal MA, the research experience and Queen's placement will help you land a job in the public sector. If you choose to go on to do your PhD, the research experience and "warmer" faculty (for LORs) is beneficial. At the moment I'm pretty set on Queen's.

i would have picked queen's (especially since i've been advised that my SSHRC application has been successful, so that's huge funding---$22.5K) if not for the fact that their faculty doesn't have anyone teaching dev, enviro, or labour econ next year and i'd really like to be able to take courses in my areas of interest.

i've also been offered oxford (no word on funding) and it's killing me to think i might have to turn it down :(