Urch Forums

Toulouse

joaoneto

How would you compare Toulouse to UCLA and Michigan?

Would you consider attending Toulouse? (forget about financial issues)

And what if you had a weak math background? Would you consider going there to improve your chances to be successful on the American PhDs? (I am not suggesting that Toulouse is easier, but a one year program, so I could delay the start of my PhD program in USA, take a year in Toulouse, improve my background, and then return to Michigan or UCLA; so if I fail in Toulouse, it would not be that bad, since I would still be able to go to Michigan or UCLA)

but a one year program, so I could delay the start of my PhD program in USA, take a year in Toulouse, improve my background, and then return to Michigan or UCLA; so if I fail in Toulouse, it would not be that bad, since I would still be able to go to Michigan or UCLA)

Care to share exactly how this works? I don't quite understand how attending Toulouse (and failing) somehow garuantees you access to michigan and UCLA phd still?

Sorry, I think I was not very accurate..

My point was:

1. Both programs Michigan and UCLA already admitted me to their PhD programs in Economics

2. I would choose one.

3. I would ask to start the program just in the next year

4. During this one year interval, I would improve my skills at Toulouse.

But I am not sure if it is allowed by the programs to do it.

Anyway, first I would like to know how you compare Toulouse to these other 2 programs.

If I feel that both programs are somewhat similar, then I would attend Toulouse.

If you say that Toulouse is inferior, then I would like to know what you think about taking these steps to improve my skills before the PhD in USA.

Edited by paulwing

Sorry, I think I was not very accurate.

My point was:

1. Both programs Michigan and UCLA already admitted me to their PhD programs in Economics

2. I would choose one.

Anyway, first I would like to know how you compare Toulouse to these other 2 programs.

If I feel that both programs are somewhat similar, then I would attend Toulouse.

If you say that Toulouse is inferior, then I would like to know what you think about taking these steps to improve my skills before the PhD in USA.

If you have been admitted to Michigan and UCLA, then you've got a couple committees full of experts which have deemed you mathematically prepared for a PhD at an elite institution. What makes you think you need a year of preparation at Toulouse?

Sorry, I think I was not very accurate..

My point was:

2. I would choose one.

If I am reading this correctly (and your previous post), it sounds like you're not only interested in potentially improving your skills at Toulouse, but that you are potentially interested in applying again the following year for a better placement (into a US Ph.D program).

You would want to check with both Michigan and UCLA before committing to this strategy, even if you have intent on going there. A few things:

1) Most universities will not give a deferment. If they do, there is a contractual agreement that you will attend. (This will bar you from applying elsewhere, as well.)

2) Because of (1), you won't be able to hold onto two deferments - you're committing to one or the other.

3) Although some programs might allow you to defer for you to attend another program and increase your mathematical/research acumen, there's a safe bet that they are less likely to give you a deferment for this circumstance rather than for an emergency (the reason why deferments actually exist).

4) Attending Toulouse to boost your skills should send a negative signal to the committee/department at Michigan/UCLA (although I can't say that it will). You're effectively telling them that you're not ready, and aren't confident in your ability to succeed.

5) If granted a deferment, you are unlikely to be guaranteed funding. You will probably have to "compete" again. (This appears to be the case, frequently, when the deferment is granted in non-emergency scenarios.)

Touching on Thagzone's post - why do you lack confidence in your abilities? Does your profile not accurately represent your skills? -Or are you just nervous?