Urch Forums

LSE EME vs Oxford Mphil

Econanon

Hi all,

I need some advice on which Master's program to attend. My eventual goal is going for a PhD in the US (preferably top-10)

Oxford's MPhil is 2 years and has a research component. That is a big plus given that I have limited research experience. Also, it would be easier to get LoR's from professors because I will apply in my second year.

However, LSE's EME (1-year) is very famous for consistently placing their graduates in top-10 PhD programs in the US. Some people take a gap year and apply after completing the program, and work as an RA during that time.

I could also apply during my year in LSE, but then I would probably need to apply with LoR's from my undergrad institution.

It's very difficult to get any information on how these programs compare in their placements. I've also heard that Oxford generally tries to keep students in its PhD program after the Mphil, so they don't send many students across the Atlantic.

Any advice is welcome!

Well coming from either institution won't put you at any sort of disadvantage, regardless of your choice, you pretty much have to decide between awesome 1 and awesome 2 :D

If your profile really is lacking in relevant research experience, then perhaps Oxford would be more suited for you, it would also allow you to cement your knowledge of theoretical economics (don't know how much you actually need it, depending on your background).

While I would also expect Oxford to hope for you to stay, they can't exactly make you, that's the whole point of them separating their MPhil and DPhil programmes, so don't be shy about it, we've all seen students on the forum who did their MPhil there and moved elsewhere afterwards (the only people I know who went to Oxford stayed for their DPhil, but it was their choice usually - either because they d also done their BA there and so wanted to remain in the same institution, or because they wanted to continue research in development econ, which it is quite big on).

All in all, I'd say there aren't any downfall to being in Oxford compared to the LSE for you, it just depends on whether you'd rather have an MSc + a full-time RA job afterwards, or have a 2-year MPhil inc. research (and possibly teaching, though Im not sure about that last one, dont take my word for it). Both profiles will look great in 2 years when you apply for PhDs. If I were you I'd go for Oxford, to have a sense of continuity for the 2 years, also I love Oxford as a city :)

Well, I would consider Oxford a better option: in two years you will gain a deeper knowledge, you will work more closely with the faculty and you will have the opportunity to do a thesis, which seems a great thing to me. Not to mention, Oxford is a lovely city. I spent a week there once and I found it really a beauty. Having the possibility to study in a peaceful place, where everything is in a 5-mins bike ride radius is better than London, which I found to be too messy.

Hope this was helpful in any way, shape or form