See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: UCL MSc Economics to U.S. PhD Question

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

Re: UCL MSc Economics to U.S. PhD Question

Sponsored Ad:
    Quote Originally Posted by irony View Post
    DiddlyDoo, did you ask them why 2017 as well? It's seems on the verge of unbelievable that the professors will not be able to give you a recommendation after you have already received your grades for the programme. Looks like some sort of a typo to me.
    Hi,

I have asked an explanation on that regard and am waiting for a response. It does seem unbelievable, hopefully the writer meant to say something else.

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Macrojunkie View Post
    I would strictly recommend not to apply during the MSc year as final grades of the exams and dissertation are only out in November.

Firstly, Applying in the same year of enrolment gives no new information to the PhD admissions committee, except the maths and stats result ( which also cant be considered the final grade in that module as students are allowed to retake it in the summer to improve upon their initial score). However, this grade is present in the final transcript.
    Secondly, students sometimes do manage a recommendation from their personal tutor for applications during the same year as enrolment but the recommendation would only be able to mention your level of motivation and research interests which aren't as crucial as your performance in a particular module, percentile rank and your comparison to previous successful candidates to top PhD programs. Therefore, this holds little relevance.
    Thirdly, a popular choice followed by students to circumvent this issue is to enrol in the Mres at UCL ( with full/ partial funding but since, you're Non-EU this might happen only if you're exceptionally brilliant) and then apply for top PhD programs during the Mres year with your MSc grades in hand.
    Lastly, with respect to the issue of recommendations, if you apply after you have your MSc grades recommendations are not an issue at all. Most students would have developed a good reputation with their dissertation supervisor over the summer and some other professors and recommendations are easy to avail unless you have performed very poorly and don't deserve one for the school you are applying to. The MSc program director is very helpful in this respect and the PhD admissions director is available in case you need some guidance too.

To conclude, you cant really signal anything new during your MSc year (except your potential that lead to your admission in the MSc program). This might not be a problem if you're aiming for very low ranked PhD programs but will definitely not be favourable for a top PhD application. Also, top students (top percentile) in the UCL MSc programs got rejections when they applied in the top 20- US PhD programs in their MSc year but were accepted to such programs after again applying in the MRes year with their MSc grades in hand,
    I am really stressed out seeing this post. I had posted a similar thread a few days back. Macrojunkie, could you please take a look at this thread where I have posted my profile, and tell me my odds of admission to a top 50-100 US PhD programme, straight after my Master's from UCL?

http://www.urch.com/forums/phd-econo...k-masters.html

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by DiddlyDoo View Post
    Hi,

I have asked an explanation on that regard and am waiting for a response. It does seem unbelievable, hopefully the writer meant to say something else.
    Hi DiddlyDoo,
    So would you be joining UCL for MSc Economics 2016-17, then? Also, if you have heard back from the programme director or have any more information regarding applying during Term 1 of a UK master's for admission to a US PhD programme, please let me know. Thanks!

Good post? Yes | No

Hi there! I am in a position very similar to yours! So did you take up your offer at UCL for MSc Economics, and did you make PhD applications? Please let me know. Thanks, man.

Quote Originally Posted by tkgeoff View Post
    Thanks for the response, that information is very helpful. Seems like a high-risk strategy judging from the responses.

Anyone else have any experience with this situation or know someone who was been in it? Also, if anyone happens to know someone in the UCL MSc Economics program and could put me in touch with them that would be supremely helpful.

Thanks.

Good post? Yes | No

Hi there,

I can't tell you about your chances as I have no familiarity with the Indian system and how U.S. schools treat it, but I did not end up taking up UCL's offer because of the cost for the MSc and the high likelihood for no funding for the MRes year. It seems like the consensus is that since you won't have any information from the MSc when applying to the U.S., it's pretty pointless to apply in the MSc year. If you attend the MRes year AND rank well in the MSc, I'm sure you have a chance at a school in the U.S. if you apply during the MRes.

Good luck!

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by tkgeoff View Post
    Hi there,

I can't tell you about your chances as I have no familiarity with the Indian system and how U.S. schools treat it, but I did not end up taking up UCL's offer because of the cost for the MSc and the high likelihood for no funding for the MRes year. It seems like the consensus is that since you won't have any information from the MSc when applying to the U.S., it's pretty pointless to apply in the MSc year. If you attend the MRes year AND rank well in the MSc, I'm sure you have a chance at a school in the U.S. if you apply during the MRes.

Good luck!
    Thanks for your reply. May I ask from where are you pursuing your Master's/PhD then?

Good post? Yes | No

Hey! Resurrecting this thread to ask a closely related question.

I am in a very similar situation for next year: I have a place in the UCL MSc Economics and I am planning to pursue a PhD afterwards, ideally straight after the end of the program. However, there are two differences in my case:
    1- I would not like to go to the US for the PhD, but rather stay in the UK (UCL itself, LSE, Oxbridge, Warwick,...) or in continental Europe (Barcelona, Erasmus, DIW Berlin). Even though the deadlines are usually a bit later, it's still not the case that I can apply at the end of the MSc program.
    2- I already have a Master in Statistics with a (very likely) distinction from KU Leuven, in Belgium.

Would anyone happen to know whether those two points would improve my odds of being able to be accepted when applying in the MSc Econ year itself or if the situation is equally unlikely/risky?

Thanks a lot =)

Good post? Yes | No

Hey man,

I am nearly finished with the UCL MSc (cleared exams, working on dissertation now), and yeah I did apply to PhD programs in the US, Europe as well as the UK.

Now got rejections from every single uni the the US and Europe, and acceptances from all UK unis I had applied to - subject to achieving a Merit. So if you're planning to apply to PhD programs in the UK, you're all set - it is very likely that you will get a conditional offer given that you'll be doing one of the top Econ programs and have a solid stats background already. Not so sure about Oxbridge though since the programme is really competitive. But you're good to go for LSE (they'll probably ask for a Distinction) and Warwick (Merit)
    It's a shame US / Europe don't do conditional offers though.

Hope this helps. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel404 View Post
    Hey! Resurrecting this thread to ask a closely related question.

I am in a very similar situation for next year: I have a place in the UCL MSc Economics and I am planning to pursue a PhD afterwards, ideally straight after the end of the program. However, there are two differences in my case:
    1- I would not like to go to the US for the PhD, but rather stay in the UK (UCL itself, LSE, Oxbridge, Warwick,...) or in continental Europe (Barcelona, Erasmus, DIW Berlin). Even though the deadlines are usually a bit later, it's still not the case that I can apply at the end of the MSc program.
    2- I already have a Master in Statistics with a (very likely) distinction from KU Leuven, in Belgium.

Would anyone happen to know whether those two points would improve my odds of being able to be accepted when applying in the MSc Econ year itself or if the situation is equally unlikely/risky?

Thanks a lot =)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information