Urch Forums

Economics PhD Fall 2016 Suggestions

econsi

Hi, I am from South Asia,

Undergrad GPA : 3.38 ( Major Applied economics and business Management) offered by School of agriculture.

with Principles of economics (A-), Intermediate micro/macro ( B+/c+), International trade (A), production economics (B+), Natural resource economics (A-) Quantitative techniques (A-), Development economics and advanced development economics (A-/B+), Policy Analysis (A-)

Masters in Agricultural Economics CGPA 3.50 Micro theory I &II (B+/A) Macro theory I&II ( B/B+), Econometrics I&II (B+/A), Regression Analysis (B+), Development Economics (A-), Quantitative Policy Analysis (A-), Mathematical Programming I&II (A/B+), Project Analysis (A), Mathematical Economics (B+)

No additional mathematical courses, But we are taught calculus and Matrix Algebra and statistics as a non credit courses also differentiation is taught in the production economics class.

2 years research assistant experience, around 7-8 conference presentations.

I did GRE and IELTS without and preparation. I got GRE : 192, (Verbal 140, Q: 152, and AW 3.5) and IELTS 6.5.

I am interested in doing PhD in Economics in USA with funding. I am not targeting top tier schools. I want to target only places where they are strong in development economics and international trade. I am now preparing to retake GRE and also will be doinf TOEFL.

How is the chance of mine, given my background, of getting into a program with funding. If possible can you all name few schools. For now my interest are on Kansas state university (agric econ), Southern illinois carbondale economics (The faculty is quite small), My Best interest was American University, Washington. i am looking for few other best schools.

Appreciate if you can help.

Thank you

Hi, I am from South Asia,

Undergrad GPA : 3.38 ( Major Applied economics and business Management) offered by School of agriculture.

with Principles of economics (A-), Intermediate micro/macro ( B+/c+), International trade (A), production economics (B+), Natural resource economics (A-) Quantitative techniques (A-), Development economics and advanced development economics (A-/B+), Policy Analysis (A-)

I did GRE and IELTS without and preparation. I got GRE : 192, (Verbal 140, Q: 152, and AW 3.5) and IELTS 6.5.

Appreciate if you can help.

Thank you

Do you think that you are willing to spend 5-6 years in your life in a ****** 150 -200 program? Not even sure is there such lower rank school......

Do you think that you are willing to spend 5-6 years in your life in a ****** 150 -200 program? Not even sure is there such lower rank school......

I don't see the point of being so rude with OP without giving any feedback! Why scare people away?

You started a thread and people was nice to you.

Is your school graded on a GPA scale, or you converted it yourself?

Is the grading in your country/school difficult, do you know your rank?

I ask all this, because international students tend to compare their GPAs directly to someone to the USA and it's normally not the same.

You might want to find out what kind of GRE your universities expect and consider retaking. Many better schools would automatically reject you based on it. (So you might want to check for your universities)

Also check in time whether all your schools accept the IELTS. Among the top, I think all accepted TOEFL, few accepted IELTS and the MIT was the only one to prefer IELTS (but accepts TOEFL as well).

You might want to find out what kind of GRE your universities expect and consider retaking. Many better schools would automatically reject you based on it. (So you might want to check for your universities)

Particularly this^.

I know of no Ph.D programs that will accept you with this low of a Quant. Granted I haven't searched too many unranked programs, but of those that I did the general concensus was "161" was pretty close to minimum if you wanted funding. If you didn't seek funding, you could potentially have a score somewhat lower. A 152 is scary, though. Take this from an individual who scored a 152 the first time he took the GRE without preparation, and was narrowly accepted to an AAE master's.

low/unranked Progams overlook GPA much more than GRE quant (conditional on other aspects of your profile being promising).

• 2 weeks later...