Urch Forums

Do I still have a chance?

purlea

Got B- on real analysis I, two B+ on math stat sequence.

However, I get several As on topology, abstract algebra I, PDE sequence, numerical analysis sequence, and three stochastic process classes.

I feel like I already messed up the most important math classes and the chance of getting in to a top20 PHD program is minimal. I am doing a double major in math\econ with overall GPA 3.8.

What should I do? I am planning to take the measure theoretic probability next semester so people may forget about my disastrous undergrad performance.

Can anyone give any suggestion?

BTW, I am in a flagship state U with Math and Econ program both in top 20.

I shouldn't have taken RA with a professor rated 1.5 on ratemyprofessor....sigh...

I get rejected by every single program I applied for. Just so you know why I am so frustrated.

Edited by purlea

Calm down, people have had worse grades than you and they have gotten into top 10 programs.

It's hard to contextualize grades without knowing the type and strength of the undergraduate instititution you come from. So perhaps you can post a full profile.

Regardless of the strength of your undergrad, getting A's in those other higher level math classes is pretty impressive. The B- in Real Analysis isn't great, but I wouldn't think too much of it. If you can, why don't you try to take it again? I think getting a better grade in RA next semester would be a better deal than trying to dive into measure theoretic probability while crossing your fingers...

And if it helps, I got B+'s all throughout my math career in undergrad, and my math GPA was something like a 3.5. And I got into four top 20 schools (half with funding) and one top 15 (with funding).

Thank you spivakisgod. You must have an outstanding research experience to make such an achievement.

I am in a flagship state U with Math and Econ program both in top 20. Now I am taking RA II with the same professor. Although I am not going to get a grade as bad as B-, I still feel it is impossible to get an A. I am also doing some research with a professor here but I think it is just going to be a one-semester experience.

If you can get your Econ + Math GPA above 3.7 at a flagship state university, you are doing better than you think. (Not disastrous). Whether you'll into the top 20 is really going to depend on other factors like your GRE score, your letters of recommendation, and the depth of your research experience. Work hard, seek out opportunities, make relationships with professors, and don't look back.