Urch Forums

Profile Evaluation for 2016

youngspartan

Can someone please evaluate my profile for 2016? I still need to take a GRE and get the actual letters of rec, but I just need to know where to shoot based on the Undergrad major, gpa, ect.

Profile: youngspartan

Type of Undergrad: Mathematics and Economics (B.A) (double major) at top 50 US research university, non-PhD granting institution in economics

Undergrad GPA: 3.7

Type of Grad: N/A

Grad GPA: N/A

GRE: Taking over summer

Math Courses: Calc I-III (A,A,A), Statistics (A), RA I and II (B, B), Discrete Mathematics ©, Complex Analysis (B), Differential Equations (A), Linear Algebra (B), Abstract Algebra (B), Dynamical Systems (in progress)

Econ Courses: macro, micro, game theory, econometrics I and II, environmental economics, calc based intermediate micro, developmental economics, intermediate macro (all As)

Other Courses: 3 writing intensive course that focused on building and developing research papers

Letters of Recommendation: 1 professor who I have worked with extensively as a research assistant and who was my project advisor, my real analysis professor (had for 3 semesters), and a second economics professor at my university who knows me fairly well from my senior project work

Research Experience: 3 semesters as undergraduate research assistant for economics department

Teaching Experience: none

Research Interests: labor (sports in particular), macro, financial econ

SOP: will explain research interests and look for specific professors at school who I would like to work with

Other: Have a writing sample from senior project that is a full research paper with a data, model, results. NCAA Varsity athlete all 4 years, US Citizen

Was thinking about applying to Vanderbilt, Texas-Austin, Clemson, U of Chicago, Duke, and Michigan. Open to all suggestions though

For the type of institution you come from, your math grades are definitely problematic.This means that UChicago, Duke, and Michigan are going to be steep uphill battles, and I think UT-Austin and Vanderbilt will be troubled too. Hopefully you can get a 166 or above on your GRE Q score. Perhaps some stellar letters of recommendation can give you a boost; it is hard to say. But I would cast a wider net in terms of the types of institutions to apply for...