Urch Forums

Bocconi MSc vs LSE MSc Economy Risk Society

2015app

Hi,

I am an economics major from a top 30 US university. I've been admitted to the MSc program in Economics at Bocconi University as well as the MSc program in Economy, Risk and Society at LSE (which is not very rigorous and more in the field of sociology than economics). After finishing the MSc I'm looking to work in Europe (preferably in London). Do you guys have any suggestions as to what I should do? On the one hand, Bocconi's MSc is supposed to be rigorous and well regarded by industry in EU area. However, I'd prefer to live and work in London and studying in London would give me a better opportunity to network and find a job based in London. Should I trade a more rigorous program for the possibly better opportunity that living in London provides? Any idea of job prospects in London?

• 2 weeks later...

The best answer would really depend on what specific kind of work you're interested in pursuing. In regards to program at the LSE, it's not that it isn't rigorous so much as it is a completely different field. It is taught by the Sociology Department and there are no options to take courses from outside that department. It simply won't give you the postgraduate economics training that economic consulting firms/government organizations/investment banks are looking for in applicants.

If you just want any job in London (that is, non-econ focused), the LSE does offer a brand name advantage. However, keep in mind that you'll be competing with people who completed MSc in finance or management, which may be more attractive to the average firm. To give you an idea, the top three destination areas for the Sociology Department in 2013-2014 were "Research and Education", "Charities, Development and International Organizations", and "Media and Publishing". If you do go this route, you'll need to start searching for jobs as soon as you arrive in the UK. From personal experience, it seems like most of the large recruitment drives occur around November.

I know absolutely nothing about the program at Bocconi, but if you want a job in economics, a degree in sociology (while most likely interesting) will not make your search any easier.

Going through CVs of analysts/economists at various london-based economic consultancies (actually all of them, yes all, I was very very very bored and curious, a bad combination). I do recall seeing quite a few Bocconi graduates, enough to make me notice and wonder about it. Same with BGSE, and otherwise pretty much all UK-based or various foreign.

So anecdotal evidence from above does confirm.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks @HauteFinance, you've effectively nailed the conundrum that I'm in. But I should have mentioned that I want to find a job in management consultancy or possibly IBs. I think they're not as focused on hiring econ or finance grads as one might think (plus I'm hoping that my econ undergrad should be enough of an indicator of my quant aptitude). I guess I do have to be really pro active about my job search but ex ante it just seems like the LSE's brand name would negate any advantages that Bocconi may have. I'd also lose out on a lot of networking opportunities and may have to depend mostly on the university's careers service which I do not think is on par with LSE's.

@fakeo @jrdonsimoni I think I'm leaning towards LSE at the moment. Correct me if I'm wrong on this but I just don't think Bocconi's reputation (or BGSE's for that matter) is close to the LSE's when it comes to reputation in the City.

Well short answer is: LSE is a household name in the UK. Bocconi is well-known and reputed in our field, but the LSE in the UK is the LSE, and few departments would be regarded with as much respect in economics.

Now, objectively, both very good departments and they place very well either way, the LSE would allow you to be in London already, so it'd help with all the little hassles of moving (finding the right bank, finding the right areas to live in, becoming familiar with the city, etc. etc.). Now I dont know anything about their "Economy, Risk & Society" programme, so I can't say for sure about this one in particular, but I'm guessing most people would read LSE and "Economy/Risk" and stop there, however thats just an educated guess, nothing more.