Urch Forums

Profile evaluation: mediocre undergrad, but hey - at least I majored in math :)

EustaciaVye

Hi Everyone

I posted my profile a while back and got a couple of responses, but I thought I'd try once more, now that I have another semester's worth of grades, to see if there were any more takers. To those that responded previously, thank you so much and please don't feel obliged to do so again. I'll be applying for fall 2015.

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: BA in math, flagship state university ranked 80's in US News, no econ grad program.

Undergrad GPA: 3.63

Type of Grad: Just completed first year of MA in Econ at a flagship state university in a different state with a masters but no doctoral program

Grad GPA: 4.0

GRE: 170V /168Q /5 AW

Math Courses (undergrad level): Calc I/II/III (A-/B/B) Linear Algebra (B+) Fundamentals of Mathematics (A - intro to proofs) Ordinary Differential Equations (B+) Combinatorial Theory (A) Abstract Algebra I (A-) Applied Probability (A) Elementary Number Theory (A-) Mathematical Biology and Ecology (A) Real Analysis I (A) Statistics I (A)

Math Courses (masters level): Mathematical Statistics (Fall 2015)

Econ Courses (undergrad level): Intermediate micro (A) :)

Econ Course (masters level): Micro I/II (A/A) Econometrics I/II (A/A) Macro (Fall 2015)

Letters of Recommendation: One from my advisor, one from a micro professor, one from a metrics professor. They will be good but I can't assume they'll be phenomenal.

Research Experience: 2 years as an RA in my masters program, will write a masters thesis

Teaching experience: Taught high school for two years, not that its relevant

Research Interests: Public Economics, Health

SOP: Haven't written

Applying to: Unsure. I know I'll need to apply to a wide range but am hoping to get a sense of what lower and upper bounds might be appropriate, and what schools might be considered "good fits." An academic career would be wonderful, but I could be happy without one, so I am willing to considered any schools that might want me.

Concerns: B's in numerous important math classes, particularly during the first two years of undergrad. I had no interest in graduate school (or economics) at the time and didn't work particularly hard. I've applied myself much more vigorously during my masters program but am unsure how much weight it will carry. Neither my undergraduate or masters constitution are particularly prestigious and were chosen primarily for financial reasons. Happily, I was able to take Real Analysis and Statistics for credit in my masters program despite these being undergraduate classes, so I am hoping that these grades will help demonstrate that I actually can do calculus after all. I'll also take a masters level statistics class in the fall (using Casella and Berger).

Any and all advice on schools to consider is welcome. I've spent a fair amount of time perusing old profiles and results, and it's been helpful. However, it seems many of the users of this site are aiming at top-30 programs, and there isn't as much information for those who need to set their sights elsewhere.

Thanks!

Edited by EustaciaVye

What is the track record for placement from your masters program? I think that will give a lot more information, as it is hard to contextualize your 4.0 in your masters program.

I would have to say that your GRE scores are phenomenal and you have plenty of exposure to mathematics. I think these points, combined with good letters of recommendation, can get you quite far.

Thanks for the response, Spivak. Unfortunately the majority of the students who come to my masters program have no interest in applying to phd's, so there's not much to go on. The department is primarily focused on environmental/ natural resource, and most of the students who chose to come here are interested in that field. They have placed people into decent ARE programs (which is what I initially thought I'd be doing), but in recent years no one has gone on to a pure doctoral program. Thus, my masters GPA should definitely be taken with a grain of salt, and my recommenders wont be able to say "...this student compares favorably with student x who is now at phd program y."

I decided to come here because the university was my husband's first choice for a masters in a different field, because the economics department here fully funds masters students and because they were willing to take me with only a single undergraduate econ course under my belt. I sort of figured that, as I don't have the undergrad micro, macro or metrics sequences, I could substitute the masters courses.

Essentially the university itself is a decent state university, but the masters program isn't generally used as prep for a phd. I have no delusions of grandeur about getting into a very highly ranked program.

Thanks again for your help!

I think it is possible that you will get into a top-30 with that profile, although it is certainly not guaranteed. You seem to have already written it off, and I don't think you should. I certainly think that, assuming your letters are good, that you have a good shot at schools in the 30-50 range, so you should focus on schools in that range and look for the ones that have strengths in the areas that you are interested in researching, but also include some higher-ranked reaches and lower-ranked safeties.

In cases like yours, I think that it is particularly important to apply widely. You may well find that some higher-ranked programs will accept you while some lower-ranked programs will reject you.

Thank you Catrina, I absolutely plan to cast a very wide net in terms of rankings when I apply. If you think I have a good chance at programs between 30-50 that is reassuring. I was thinking something to the effect of schools ranked >40 being reaches, with schools between 40-60 being good fits, so it seems I'm in the right vicinity. Thanks again!

Thanks for your input, flopson. I've spent some time reading previous profiles and results from the past several years and it has provided me with a rough idea of the level of school to target. Unfortunately, it seems as though there are several aspects of my profile which make it somewhat out of the ordinary, and so, difficult to compare to other profiles. For instance, I have relatively poor grades in math classes that I took early on during undergrad, but which are very important for phd admission, namely the calculus sequence and linear algebra. However, my grades in later, supposedly more difficult math classes like abstract algebra and real analysis are better. My grades in my masters program are quite good, but it's at an unknown university. Thus, you see my dilemma: seemingly contrasting factors which make it difficult to find similar profiles or have a good idea of where I might place. Alas!

Anyway, thanks again. I'll keep looking at old profiles.

Take a look at my profile in this year's profiles & results threads. I think we have some key similarities.

This has been said but good letters can make all the difference and with them I don't think top-30 is out of reach. Make the most of your RA work and your thesis, those are great opportunities to earn solid letters.

Thanks for pointing me in the direction of your profile; you're right there are similarities between us. It's heartening to see someone with a low undergrad GPA/ high masters GPA at a less prestigious program be so successful. I'd be thrilled to get the results that you achieved. Congratulations on the enviable Davis and UNC admits!