Urch Forums

Any advice from First Years who just finished?

senorfluffy

~Invest sufficient time looking for a good apartment. Apartment-hunting can be annoying especially when you are on a budget, but being able to find a place that is comfortable and will allow you to rest and study is really important.

~If possible, arrive at least a few days or a week before the start of the program to allow yourself to get settled in.

~Go to math camp and any pre-term or orientations that your program offers even if they aren't mandatory. It is still a good way of meeting people.

~Introduce yourself to others and go out of your way to be friendly, especially at the beginning when people are getting to know each other.

~Know yourself and what works best for YOU personally (e.g., how often do you need study breaks? how well do you study alone versus in a group? etc). Don't feel obligated to use the exact same study approach as others if you feel that it won't work for you personally.

~Learn how to make at least 5 or so different meals that are easy and affordable yet also healthy and taste good if you do not already know how to do this.

Edited by PhDPlease

~Learn how to make at least 5 or so different meals that are easy and affordable yet also healthy and taste good if you do not already know how to do this.

OP, this!!! A little insight from an aspiring behavioral econ guy with a background in psych: your olfactory bulb, a tiny little nugget of neurons that sits right behind your nose, is responsible for a big part of how your brain interprets taste. This is important because it also has--and here's where it gets cool--a DIRECT connection to your cortex via the hypothalamus, which is the seat of your limbic system's administrative functions. This is the suite of subsystems relating to emotions, emotive memory, and it includes the HPA axis which has a major role in stress reduction. I could go on and on about the importance of good food to well-being, but I'll summarize with this: the knowledge of how to make good food is the cheapest antidepressant you can buy: it's free. Invest the time in learning to make dishes that your parents or grandparents made for you. My grandmother's chicken and dumplings recipe has 5 ingredients and has gotten me through many a stressful time.

Also another suggestion: pick up the habit of exercising. A 20-minute jog costs next to nothing in terms of time commitment, and gives you a great opportunity for a brain dump.