Urch Forums

Need some advice about my plan

JQX

I am going to do a 1-year Master program in econ from a well-know school but I wonder if it is likely to get reference letter from the professors from my master program in 4 months if I plan to apply to PhD this December. (Assume that I will do very well in the master level courses and hence the professors from my master program can write me good letters )

How do the admission committee view this? Will they think the reference letters are less credible because it's not likely for those professors to evaluate me within only 4 months?

Another Question:

Now Suppose I choose the alternative plan: Take a gap year and apply in the next cycle rather than this december. There are two options I can choose:

1. Find an RA job during this gap year or 2.Do another 1-year Master in Stats after I finish my econ master

Which option can improve my profile better? Should I take a gap year or not?

Thanks in advance

If you need all three references from the master program, I would definitely take a gap year. 4 months is not enough for them to find out your research potential, hence the letters won't be super strong.

As for the gap year, i think 2nd masters in stats won't be useful at all, whereas 1 year RA seems like a good deal. Especially if this RA is for one of your letter writers.

Depending on the structure of the master's program, you may not even have any grades/completed work for them to base their letters on at that point. From personal experience, 1-year programs really aren't ideal if you are both looking to apply for PhD right away and need recommendations. If you have the chance for an RA opportunity, it could be a really beneficial option.

If you need all three references from the master program, I would definitely take a gap year. 4 months is not enough for them to find out your research potential, hence the letters won't be super strong.

As for the gap year, i think 2nd masters in stats won't be useful at all, whereas 1 year RA seems like a good deal. Especially if this RA is for one of your letter writers.

The econ department of my undergraduate institution does not have high reputation so I think I will try to get all 3 reference letter from the school where I will do my master.

And wouldn't stat courses like Stochastic Calculus, Graduate level Probability theory (include topics like measure theory), Computational Statistics be very useful and valued a lot by the Admission Committee ? I can take these courses in a stat master but not in my econ master.

If I cannot secure an RA job but got a public sector job, then I guess a stat master will be a better option?