Urch Forums

Do publications increase chances of getting accepted?

Maypagasa

Hi, I am graduating this June with my BSc and MSc Economics degree (Ladderized) and I plan to try my chances by applying this coming application season. May I ask how important are publications in the decision of adcoms? Do publications increase the chances of getting accepted in a top program? Thanks.

The academic publication process in the social sciences usually takes 1-3 years from first submission to final publication, so no, virtually no undergrad applicant will have a publication, even if they are already capable of writing academic-level papers at the end of their junior year (which is nearly unheard of).

You can "publish" something in crappy undergraduate-run journals but they won't do anything for you.

Of course a publication would help. It provides a credible signal that one can conduct respected academic research. Graduate programs do not have an expectation that undergraduates be publishing on top economics journals, so there should be no worry about not having publications. A senior thesis or master's thesis is sufficient.

I am not sure why my question was downvoted...

To clarify my question, yes it is assumed a publication or R&R should be helpful but the case I am referring to is for someone whose profile is otherwise non-stellar e.g. missing mathematics courses, no RA expericence, no European Masters, average GPA at undergrad or grad level.

Would such a person who might not otherwise be admitted, be admitted to a top 5/top 10 program if he/she had a publication or R&R at a top journal?

To clarify my question, yes it is assumed a publication or R&R should be helpful but the case I am referring to is for someone whose profile is otherwise non-stellar e.g. missing mathematics courses, no RA expericence, no European Masters, average GPA at undergrad or grad level.

Would such a person who might not otherwise be admitted, be admitted to a top 5/top 10 program if he/she had a publication or R&R at a top journal?

PhDPolEcon,

I'm sure your question was well-intended.

The issue is that the occurrence of an undergraduate student having anything close to a top publication is just about zero. Even if such a publication would in theory help on admissions, students should certainly spend their time on more fruitful activity.

PhDPolEcon,

The issue is that the occurrence of an undergraduate student having anything close to a top publication is just about zero. Even if such a publication would in theory help on admissions, students should certainly spend their time on more fruitful activity.

Exactly.

Theoretically, yes. Practically, hypotheticals like these are worse than useless.

If someone even has a remote chance at landing a top 5 journal (or R&R) as an undergrad, he is at least in the top 0.1% percentile in future potential, will know it, and will most likely end up at MIT/Harvard regardless of whether he tries to publish anything. On the other hand, people who have otherwise poor undergrad records may think about publishing in top 5 journals as an undergrad, which will be a very, very terrible waste of time. The chance of an undergrad publishing in even a third-tier journal before grad admissions is very close to zero.

In the course of my studies I have heard of exactly one person who managed to get a top R&R before grad school, and he was in a different (less quantitative) discipline, and is still widely regarded as the superstar of that discipline.