Urch Forums

PhD Profile Evaluation

TCAZN

Hi, please evaluate my chances for the PhD programs at UCLA, Caltech and USC:

Type of Undergrad: BS in engineering from a top 10 US Engineering School

Undergrad GPA: 3.71/4.0 (over all), 3.85/4 (major)

Type of Grad: Top 10 School in Europe

Grad GPA: Results not out yet, but very possibly mediocre

GRE: Q170/V162/4.0

Math Courses: Calc 1-3 (A,A,A+), Linear Algebra and Differential Equations (A+), Discrete Mathematics (A+), Real Analysis 1-2 (A, A-), Complex Analysis (A+), Abstract Algebra (A+), Advanced Linear Algebra (A+), Number Theory (A+), Numerical Analysis (A), Differential Geometry (A-), Stochastic Processes (A+)

Econ Courses: Intro to Economics (C+)

Other Courses: Various other undergraduate and graduate economics courses at my current school. I've no idea how they convert to the US grading system. But I think my grades on micro courses are roughly of A+ standards but mediocre grades on other courses for sure.

Letters of Recommendation: Possibly my thesis advisor and course supervisor

Research Experience: Basically none except for my thesis

Teaching Experience: TAed for some engineering course during my undergraduate study

I wasn't sure whether I wanted to do a PhD or not at the beginning of my masters, although I flirted with the idea a lot during the first year. I basically did nothing and lived like the prodigal son in the second year and was only hoping for a pass at the end as I've already got a pretty good job at some major bank.

And yes, both of my undergraduate and graduate schools are considered "meat grinders" with really really fierce competition.

I am really into micro actually and the classes in my current school on micro seemed a bit lacklustre. I was hoping to see very rigorous materials for micro and econometrics but I was greatly disappointed with the amount of math it used. After realising that, the prodigal son got even more prodigal!

I want to work on theoretical micro or theoretical econometrics (if such a field does exist) if I ever go to a PhD program. But my biggest concern is that my grades were pretty bad (there were quite a few C's on my transcripts and you saw the detrimental one in my profile above) and my lack of research experience will prevent me from getting into any of the top 30 programs in the US.

It would be really great if I could get into some schools in Southern California. European weather is way too awful (and so is the East Coast).

Do you think if I have a chance with some PhD programs in the US (particularly UCLA, Caltech or even USC) if I apply this fall? Or should I go do another masters program with more rigorous classes (I am thinking of Barcelona GSE or Tilburg)?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

You math background looks pretty impressive but it seems that you only post classes you got good grade. What are those classes you end up with C? Doing mediocre in your master program is not a good sign as the peer competition is very likely to hurt you chance of getting in.

Hey, thanks for getting back to me.

Yeah I had a few C's on: intro to ethnic studies, American history (if I remember correctly). I am pretty sure they are not relevant to economics. I just have this tendency to not care at all about subjects that don't interest me.

I've got pretty good grades on most of my engineering classes too (mostly A's with a few B's) but they are all computationally oriented.

I think my over all grade is going to be ok. It should give me a chance to continue with the PhD program in my current school. By "mediocre" I meant I don't think I am going to be in the top 10 or 20% of my cohort. However, I think I might have a few very good grades on a few classes.

Edited by TCAZN
Just checked my old transcript. Got a B for freshmen chemsitry.

• 3 weeks later...

Updated profile (profile eval for T15 to T30 programs in the US):

Type of Undergrad: BS in engineering from a top 10 US Engineering School

Undergrad GPA: 3.71/4.0 (over all), 3.85/4 (major)

Type of Grad: Top 10 School in Europe

Grad GPA: Top 15% of the class

GRE: Q170/V162/4.0

Math Courses: Calc 1-3 (A,A,A+), Linear Algebra and Differential Equations (A+), Discrete Mathematics (A+), Real Analysis 1-2 (A, A-), Complex Analysis (A+), Abstract Algebra (A+), Advanced Linear Algebra (A+), Number Theory (A+), Numerical Analysis (A), Differential Geometry (A-), Stochastic Processes (A+)

Econ Courses (undergrad): Intro to Economics (C+)

Econ Courses (grad): Microeconomics Sequence (A, A+), Applied Microeconomics (A+), Macroeconomic Sequence (B, C+), Applied Macro (B), Econometrics Sequence (A-,A-), Financial Econ (B) (these were converted from my grades using a guideline from my current school)

Other Courses: Various engineering and science classes, and some other courses (C's) that I did very bad but I know are not related to economics (ie ethnic studies, history etc)

Letters of Recommendation: Possibly my thesis advisor and course supervisor

Research Experience: Basically none except for my thesis

Teaching Experience: TAed for some engineering course during my undergraduate study

My concern right off the top has less to do with your performance (which, a C in your grad macro sequence is SUPER concerning), but with your lack of research experience, lack of stated research interests (which could just be an omission on your part, but comes across as a sort of negative signal to me), and your lukewarm reference to your letters of rec. Your maths background and your GRE score will likely get you past the first round of cuts, enough at least to get your letters of rec read. If they aren't stellar, they could actually hurt you more than help. What sort of recommendation do you think you can expect from your thesis advisor and course supervisor?

My concern right off the top has less to do with your performance (which, a C in your grad macro sequence is SUPER concerning), but with your lack of research experience, lack of stated research interests (which could just be an omission on your part, but comes across as a sort of negative signal to me), and your lukewarm reference to your letters of rec. Your maths background and your GRE score will likely get you past the first round of cuts, enough at least to get your letters of rec read. If they aren't stellar, they could actually hurt you more than help. What sort of recommendation do you think you can expect from your thesis advisor and course supervisor?

Hey, thanks for the input! Yeah I was afraid of the reference letters, but I think they should be between moderately strong to strong as they know me quite well. I plan to work on micro-theory or applied microeconomics (if I get into any program) and I will mention it on my SOP (if I do apply).

Yeah I know my grades are really bad (for some grad classes), but I was hoping the ones that I did well on align with my interests, so the adcomm would somehow ignore the ones that I messed up. I guess that's not the case since adcomms probably know people often switch their interests in the first few years.

Oh well, I guess I've got a few months to decide. Maybe I will like my new job so much that I decide not to apply to PhD programs. Thanks again.