Urch Forums

Profile Evaluation: MPhil Economics Oxford/Cambridge - Master

JohnZhang

Profile Evaluation - Oxford MPhil, LSE MSc???

Hi everyone

This is my first actual post on these forums (I've researched the collected wisdom here before, though), and I was hoping someone could give me a hint as to my chances at a few programs and let me know if I'm looking in the right places...

I've posted my profile below, but there's a couple notes to make:

*My GPA is dragged down significantly by a pair of C's in Engineering (materials science and I did not get along), and there are a couple repeated grades in philosophy (another subject I did not get along with :-).

*I'm absolutely certain I want to get an Econ Masters; not at all certain about PhD. Ultimately, I don't think I could do research for the rest of my life, but I love econ nonetheless. My plan is to find a IBanking or possibly Consulting job later on....

PROFILE:

Type of University:
TOP 2 undergrad in China, 30 worldwide

Majors: Geology Economics(2nd degree)

Undergrad GPA:
3.52 of Geology(rank 10), 3.63 of Economics

GRE:
160V+170Q+4W

Math Courses: Advanced
Calc I & II (94, 89), Linear Algebra (94), Probability and Statistics(95)

Econ Courses: Intermediate micro(86)
Intermediate macro(85)
Intermediate econometrics(81) Industrial Organization(90) Economics paper-writing(96) Corporate finance(80)

Other Courses:
C C++ Python programming

Letters of Recommendation(2+1):

*Thesis Advisor: Peking Univ, knows me well

*Probabilty Prof:Peking Univ, I was one of his best students

*maybe I will try to get one from Stony Brook in the 2015 fall(exchange semester)

Research Experience:win the award to keep research after my tutor(
Thesis Advisor), having completed one paper(n public)

Research Interests:
economic modelling, math-economics

Application list:

Oxford MPhil

LSE EME

LSE MSc Econ

Cambridge MPhil Econ

Duke MA

UMD MA

Tufts MA

Thoughts? Any help is greatly appreciated!Thanks a lot!

Edited by JohnZhang

On pure principle I dont see why you shouldnt have a shot at either Oxford or Cambridge, but perhaps you should broaden your application list slightly, to the likes of Nottingham or UCL in the UK (if you re interested in micro specifically), Mannheim, Bonn and Frankfurt in Germany, Bocconi in Italy and perhaps also the PSE and TSE in France.

But again, if you do come from a strong programme in China, and have strong GRE and TOEFL scores, you should at least be considered. Unfortunately I cant be more precise because all of my friends from China did a Master in Europe, but I dont think any of them went to the top schools in China.

There are no economic fields known as "economic modelling" or "math economics". There is absolutely no reason to get an MA in economics if you do not seek to actually be an economist; you already have an undergraduate degree. Your graduate degree should help you get a job. You also cannot do "research in economics", and nobody will pay you to do it, if you do not have a PhD in economics, which you don't intend to get.

I re-iterate that your interest seem to be in the industry, not in academic research, and you should get a MFE or possibly an MBA.

In Europe having an MSc in Economics helps tremendously with getting a job, especially in consulting. Of course you can get jobs with just an undergrad (otherwise the unemployment rate would skyrocket if we couldnt), but nonetheless a strong performance in a Masters enhances your chances drastically.

I may have to agree with the comment on a Master in Financial Economics if you want to do investment banking.

But back to OP, you d have to figure out which you want to do: consulting and Inv. Banking are hugely different. An MSc in Econ would help for one, but no so much for the other, and vice versa with an MFE.