Urch Forums

Fall 2016 profile evaluation

Hyung Gyu Rho

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: Top Australian University, Top in Economics (according to QS)

Undergrad GPA: N/A (we do not use GPA)

Type of Grad: N/A

Grad GPA: N/A

GRE: V 153/ Q 167/ W 3 (planning to retake this july)

Math Courses: None

Econ Courses (under grad): Intro-micro (H1, 80), intro-macro (H2B, 72), quantitative method 1 (H1, 80), intermediate-micro (H1, 85), intermediate-macro (H1, 92), quantitative method 2 (H2B, 72), Micro(H1, 86), Macro (H1, 93), Basic econometrics (H2A, 78), Econometrics (H1, 86), Economics of Financial market (H1, Top, 92), industrial economics (H1, 81)

Econ Courses (grad): Advanced micro (H1, 83), Advanced Macro (H1, 93), Econometrics technics (H1, 96), Game theory (next sem), Math for economists (next sem), Economics of market and competition (next sem)

Other Courses: Finance courses (mostly H1, one H2A, one H2B)

Letters of Recommendation: one from honours thesis advisor, one from RA, one from course coordinators

Research Experience: RA (empirical micro), Honours thesis (pure theory micro)

Teaching Experience: 3rd year (presumably the same as 4th year in the US) subject

Research Interests: Microeconomics (mechanism design, I/O)

SOP: Haven't written yet

Other: In Australia, it is very unlikely that economics students take math courses as they are not required and math is usually taught within economics courses. Especially, Advanced Micro was about proof and I expect that math for economists will be a proof based subject as well, econometric technics had rigorous linear algebra. I want to apply to the UK and the US universities. Which universities would I have a chance to get in? (there was a history that some student without any math on academic transcript get into top 10 university in the US.

From Michigan university, 80+ in Australia is considered as A in the US

75-79 is A-

70-74 is B